Default Northern Spain Tidal Streams

We are currently in Santander slowly heading South. There is quite a tidal range here but none of my pilot books give me any tide flow charts. All ports use Pointe de Grave as the standard port. I noticed we pickef up 1knot current when heading from Bilbao. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Default Re: Northern Spain Tidal Streams

From memory, supported by 'South Biscay Pilot', tidal streams along the coast are generally weak, though they can be strong within some of the narrow rias. At the same time there is said to be a small W-going current all along the coast, although it can be reversed (and often is) by strong NW or W winds, to up to 2 kts E-going.

Spring tides are up to 4m all along the coast. I found secondary port adjustments based on Pt de Grave worked adequately. In any case, the times are rarely more than half an hour different from Pt de Grave.
    Last edited by AndrewB; 07-09-19 at 08:28.

Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

As Andrew said, the tidal component is weak, the current is mostly of oceanic and atmospheric origin.
    This site gives a model forecast, just move the map and zoom in
    http://www.puertos.es/es-es/oceanogr...as/portus.aspx
    cantabria.jpg
    oh no, yet another sailing blog
    http://sybrancaleone.blogspot.com/

Fab site, thanks, giving a lot of information around the Canaries too.

Thanks both. Quite worryingly I met up with a couple yesterday whi heading down for the ARC and their Reeds tells them that there is an Easterly component on the incoming tide. Looking at the website, this doesn't look correct. Anyway I will find out today and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by robertager1962 View Post
    Thanks both. Quite worryingly I met up with a couple yesterday whi heading down for the ARC and their Reeds tells them that there is an Easterly component on the incoming tide. Looking at the website, this doesn't look correct. Anyway I will find out today and report back.
    Concur with previous posters. We sailed E-W from Bilbao to Coruña then back this year and there is no coherent tidal flow. Wind direction seems to be the determining factor but that is not straightforward.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Some years ago there was an accident on the Douro and various bodies could not be found.Several weeks later bodies appeared on the beaches close to Cabo Finisterre,they were the missing people from the accident in Portugal.

Well the jury is out. Yesterday we had a 1 knot tide with us all day from Santander to Llanes and .5 knot all day against us to Gijon. So I agree with your advice that it is weather related and not tidal.