Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Drinking water on boats

With all the recent and well merited publicity about single use plastics, what do forumites do about drinking water on board if they dont want to drink water from their tanks? I must admit we buy drinking water in large plastic bottles (rather than multiple small ones) in order to save on waste but that still creates plastic waste about which I'm somewhat ashamed

Is it sufficient to drop a couple of water purification tablets into your tank on a regular basis to make the water potable? Are there modestly priced treatment systems available to make tank water potable?

Default Re: Drinking water on boats

I would think that a small under sink filter or RO system would work - some different types https://www.kinetico.co.uk/products/water-filters. The larger ones also have a tank, so could take up a bit too much space. I guess the type of system depends on how good the dock water is.

We buy bottled water at the beginning of the season and then simply re-charge the bottles from the marina taps each time we are back aboard. Still some unnecessary plastic use I guess but we get multiple use - in fact the bottles we have been using this year were bought last year and they will probably go on for a year or two yet.

Have been thinking about fitting a filter system to the water supply on the boat so that we can drink from the tanks but not got round to it yet.

Other than Cala Dor water which is barely disguised sea water (how it is vaguly legal I have no idea) I just drink it from the tank and have done for the last 15 years or so.

I just drink from the tank too. Whether it's our water-maker made water or the marina water (though obviously important to check with each marina that their water is drinkable!). As J says, only exception for me would be Cala D'or where the water is probably clean enough to drink but tastes revolting!

Isn’t the water from a water maker drinkable? Admittedly one of the options I didn’t tick for current boat but will for the next. We buy far too much water (and hence bottles) currently.

Mike, I’m amazed there is much water drunk on your boat.

We drink bottled water on Rafiki. You can purify the tank water, but it leaves a bit of a taste. Kettle and coffee maker are filled from the marina tap.

Yes it is - virtually Evian quality!

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    Yes it is - virtually Evian quality!
    So with a water maker no need for bottled water or am I missing something?

Stick to beer and gin and tonics

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast