Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UK, Greece and Spain
    Posts
    24,034

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    We use a Seagul filter connected to a drinking water tap in the galley.
    See here
    https://www.seagull-filters.com/
    We had one of those on our last boat, brilliant

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,865

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    brief discussion with the swmbo yesterday,
    guess what the conclusion is: keep it as it is,
    she doesn't like the taste of anything else but bottle water,
    and insists on avoiding that guests get sick from drinking tank water,
    I have to point out that we use tank water for cooking, coffee, dishwasher, rinsing vegetables, teeth cleaning, ..only drinking is from the bottles.

    re waste, we are used and have a system to seperate plastic / glass / and general waste,
    in many places we can dump it seperated.
    This season I was shocked that in some modern marina's sa Villassimius and Teulada, waste is not collected separated.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    17,489

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    we use tank water for cooking, coffee, dishwasher, rinsing vegetables, teeth cleaning, ..only drinking is from the bottles.
    B, fwiw, we do exactly the same, except that we use bottled water also for tea/coffee.
    Essentially, whenever we actually drink the water, regardless of whether it's boiled or not.
    Again fwiw, some friends of ours use it also for teeth cleaning.
    Which might make sense, bu we don't, mostly for practicality/laziness reasons...

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    4,865

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    Which might make sense, bu we don't, mostly for practicality/laziness reasons...
    +1

    this season we had the best coffee ever onboard,
    Jelena was able to make it exactly how I like it with the Bialetti,
    the small details make a difference, :-)
    and afaik she used water from the tank...
    but you know that the Bialetti vaporises the water.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    3,415

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    We only use water tank water for drinking - no bottled water allowed on board apart from those who prefer fizzy water - and all water passes through a 2 micron carbon filter.

    Once every three years we sterilise the whole water system, using Milton fluid (https://www.milton-tm.com/en/consume...rilising-fluid). I add the fluid, fill the tanks to the top, turn on all outlets until I smell the fluid has come through, top the tanks up, and leave it to do its work for 24 hours. Then I empty and flush the tanks and pipework which takes a few hours.

    Afterwards, I disconnect each of the four tanks' supply pipes and flush any tank debris.

    Never had any tummy upsets by doing this.

    BUT, I now use a pre-filter when filling the tanks (https://www.asap-supplies.com/seagul...-filter-system) in the hope that when flushing the tanks next time, there'll be minimum debris- https://www.playdeau.com/clean-water-please/

    Piers
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    West London
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    We only use water tank water for drinking - no bottled water allowed on board apart from those who prefer fizzy water - and all water passes through a 2 micron carbon filter.

    Once every three years we sterilise the whole water system, using Milton fluid (https://www.milton-tm.com/en/consume...rilising-fluid). I add the fluid, fill the tanks to the top, turn on all outlets until I smell the fluid has come through, top the tanks up, and leave it to do its work for 24 hours. Then I empty and flush the tanks and pipework which takes a few hours.

    Afterwards, I disconnect each of the four tanks' supply pipes and flush any tank debris.

    Never had any tummy upsets by doing this.

    BUT, I now use a pre-filter when filling the tanks (https://www.asap-supplies.com/seagul...-filter-system) in the hope that when flushing the tanks next time, there'll be minimum debris- https://www.playdeau.com/clean-water-please/

    Piers
    How, do you flush tank debris?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    JERSEY
    Posts
    3,001

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    I have just spent the last 3 months sailing around GB, by the end there was a very strong gaseous aroma from the tap when turned on. It put me off even making tea and coffee.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Guernsey, Channel Islands
    Posts
    3,415

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    How, do you flush tank debris?
    Pontoon hose into the tanks, add an 1" or so, open connections from the tanks to the boat plumbing, drain into bilge. Pump out bilge.
    These are the voyages of Play d'eau....www.playdeau.com

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    12,426

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by Piers View Post
    Pontoon hose into the tanks, add an 1" or so, open connections from the tanks to the boat plumbing, drain into bilge. Pump out bilge.
    Good grief! The last time we got any significant amount of water in the bilges, it took us weeks to get the boat dry again. Double skinned boats with lots of space for water to slosh around!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    7,472

    Default Re: Drinking water on boats

    Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    brief discussion with the swmbo yesterday,
    guess what the conclusion is: keep it as it is,
    she doesn't like the taste of anything else but bottle water,
    and insists on avoiding that guests get sick from drinking tank water,
    I have to point out that we use tank water for cooking, coffee, dishwasher, rinsing vegetables, teeth cleaning, ..only drinking is from the bottles.

    re waste, we are used and have a system to seperate plastic / glass / and general waste,
    in many places we can dump it seperated.
    This season I was shocked that in some modern marina's sa Villassimius and Teulada, waste is not collected separated.
    Yes, we found the same at both of those and the Canaries have been a welcome change with recycling separate bins at marinas. But we still use bottled water, and then tank for the usual washing up, hot drinks and showers. Partly out of old habit on small boats with little tanks, partly because water quality in Greece very variable. You would fill up a tank and then notice a pay tap a few metres away that said “Potable”

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to