View Poll Results: As a boater, are you satisfied with management of non tidal Thames

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • TES

7 17.50%
  • NO

33 82.50%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Are you satisfied with the management of non tidal Thames?

My main complaint with the EA is the useless management response when there's a lock failure, so a resounding no. Secondly disappointed the 24 hour EA mooring registration etc scheme got dropped. Thought it had lots of potential and could see the results of it being dropped begin to appear again.

Default Re: Are you satisfied with the management of non tidal Thames?

Quote Originally Posted by plumbob View Post
    As the only direct descendant of the Man after whom the saying Nail your colours to the mast is attributed, I'll nail mine.
    After a very recent trip to Oxford and being "disappointed" with the number of unlicensed and unnamed boats we saw, no, I'm not happy with the management of the Thames. Why do I pay??? And why do I use pump out when this lot don't.
    Tin hat and flak jacket on.
    We pay because we are law abiding citizens and the Thames Conservancy Act and Inland Waterways Order require our boats to be registered to float on Thames water. I frequently point out that the £750 or so I currently pay to register my 34 foot cruiser seems a tad excessive if it is payment for an entry in a register and carries no entitlement to expect specific service delivery or ensure the waterway is fit for purpose. If I had the money I would mount a legal challenge.

i see the number of votes has now risen to 22 - still a fairly unimpressive indication when one considers there are over 8000 powered craft registered on the Thames.

Default Re: Are you satisfied with the management of non tidal Thanes?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfeather View Post
    No.
    Come on dont sit on the fence....

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    Come on dont sit on the fence....
    Apologies.

No, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    No, barry russell should resign
    As I dont know Barry Russell , I would have to say that he is the leader of the Thames management and should be held accountable, for the lack of Lock staff during this season, the customers have been badly let down.

Although the number of “votes” has crept up to a more respectable level, I am disappointed that more forum members have not chosen to indicate their view.

Only registered forum members are able to vote in the poll. Should any forumites be sensitive to any possibility of their identities being revealed, I chose to make it a private poll so that identities are not revealed, even to me.

With 32 now having voted, there appears to be a very clear majority indicating that they are unhappy with the current state of waterways management and I will communicate this as opportunity occurs.

What I cannot understand is how the EA can allow locks to be double-manned at weekends, e.g. Romney and Boulters, especially in the case of Romney, it’s the first lock that the day boats from Datchet try to negotiated. Bad enough if you are a private boater but the poor people who may have never been on the river are faced with trying get their mooring lines up to the bollards and then after that work out how to operate the buttons.
    Added to this, why during the week some locks are manned by two or more fully trained LWK's.
    The Zen Master said "we'll see"

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    What I cannot understand is how the EA can allow locks to be double-manned at weekends,
    They are not double-manned. That expression means that they would have supplied twice the staff normally required. This is an expression invented by the EA PR department to cover the budget cut.
    Locks sharing a keeper are half-manned. I prefer split manned, which is more accurate. Perhaps we could all start using this until the EA get the message.
    Frankly I have no issues with operating a lock, provided it is functioning correctly. It's the abuse of the English language that riles me!

Amen to that!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast