Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: colregs question

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    In the absence of diagrams, distances, speeds, etc., there's no way to make detailed Colreg judgments about this.

As for the tired old claptrap that racers believe they are above the rest; all that seems to have happened here is that a much faster boat came up from beneath you, passed by in fairly close proximity, and then sailed swiftly off into the distance.

No damage done and he probably doesn't even recall this so-called incident.

Next time, why not chill out, smile, and just enjoy the day
    Next time, why not read my original post; I was extremely chilled out and didn't make a fuss, and did enjoy my day. I just asked here because I was unclear about the rules, and have so far been told I'm an ignorant, pathologically stressed-out racer hater, among other things.

Anyone else who wants to judge my character, knock yourselves out. My question has been answered by the good guys on this site with my gratitude, so I'm done with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    Next time, why not read my original post; I was extremely chilled out and didn't make a fuss, and did enjoy my day. I just asked here because I was unclear about the rules, and have so far been told I'm an ignorant, pathologically stressed-out racer hater, among other things.

Anyone else who wants to judge my character, knock yourselves out. My question has been answered by the good guys on this site with my gratitude, so I'm done with this thread.
    Look again and you’ll see I referenced my reply to your original post.

Good answer though, throws some useful light on what might have happened !!

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Was it really a question at all or just a 'some inferior person cut me up' moan as an excuse to take a dig at people who race?
    I can't see anything at all in the OPs original question or subsequent remarks to suggest this is a dig at racers or anything else other than a qenuine query.

As for the tired old claptrap that racers believe they are above the rest;
    I can't see that the OP, or anyone else, has suggested anything of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post

Well said that man.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    A few of the postings on this thread might however lead one to for the view that some racers do indeed hold that opinion of themselves.

My post #49 referenced one of his comments

People that antagonistic just seem to seek out trouble. Guess it’s just the way of things.

My post #49 referenced one of his comments
    You suggested he'd said something to the effect that racers believe they were above the rest. He'd said no such thing.

People that antagonistic just seem to seek out trouble. Guess it’s just the way of things.
    Who have been the antagonistic ones on this thread?

You suggested he'd said something to the effect that racers believe they were above the rest. He'd said no such thing.
    I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this.

There’ll be two sides to this story though and we only have one. I have a sense of things, others may have theirs.

I don't want to disparage racers in any way, but really! Just to give context, I raced dinghys and yachts for over 20 years. If the colregs were followed by racers a windward start in a force 6 could never happen, as there is a constant risk of collision. Approaching a windward mark? Ditto. A dinghy on port dipping the transom of a starboard tack boat shouldn't happen according to the colgregsd as well before I commence the dip I should have borne or tacked away! As such racers know (or should do!) the RRS, and in the main they coincide with the colregs (I believe) and as such that's all they usually bother to learn.

The OP asked a sensible question without beginning to imply he was stresssed out about the situation, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlhill View Post
    racers know (or should do!) the RRS, and in the main they coincide with the colregs (I believe) and as such that's all they usually bother to learn.
    But the OP has described one of the situations where they are not the same. Once overlapped the racing boat to leeward might think he has right of way over the windward boat. But under Colregs he is still overtaking and should keep clear.
    ۞

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast