Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Default Re: Passage planning UK to greece

Quote Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
    These guys are offering berths from Split to Canaries on a similar-sized boat, charging 400E per head for each of 4 legs plus transfers and expenses,
    On a coded boat and no doubt insured adequately for the purpose. Cost sharing on a leisure boat is allowed but, charging for berths isn't.

Indeed, it's apples to pears, but if people are willing to pay to take part in that firm's delivery, which is covering a longer distance than my return leg in less than 1/4 the time, and to a more rigorous schedule (given they will need to meet changeovers, "dates guaranteed" per the blurb)...

... it slightly sets into context the observation from some on here that a 3-4-month trip down the Med won't allow for enough stopovers to be enjoyable, given as I said a clutch of the longer passages is very much a necessary part of the plan.

@ RRJ I don't think any of us have said that the miles you wish to do isn't doable , if you wish to read everyone posting ,
    Most where all trying to get you to think about adjusting your plain to a more realistic plain for a family just starting of on there dream cruise a plain that not only you will all enjoy but will give you all time to get more experience and get every member of the family use to doing long distance sailing .
    You just wrote your trip is time restricted , which is why you have this plain ,
    most of us know that if any thing going to go wrong will go wrong .

We have so far ourself done over two thousand miles this season , we cruised from North Africa to Italy , Sicily , south of France and work our way back south to Malta cruising Corsica and Sardinia .
    We not race pass these countries but spend time exploring them but we have 75 years sailing experience between us , I been cruising the Med 30 years so it not a big deal , but we not inexperienced family with children by your count ,

Your opening posting clearly came over to me because of the question that you asked that your experience is limit and on that basic I made my reply , I guess so did others
    You then suggested you thinking to take on a pro skipper for a few days to coach you , as a ex instructor, for the life of me I couldn't see what you expected to learn in a few days that you shouldn't already know taken on such a trip .
    What happen when you pro skipper suggest what we have been suggesting, do you just poo poo him .

People come on here every week and ask question we reply on their posting the best we can on what they tell us to try to help ,
    if you wrote ( we are an experience sailing family with plenty of long distance sailing experience) you would had got a very different reply .
    you alway will get different option some will be for thos given you their story ( solo or experience couple , amount of miles in X amount of days ) which is miles away for your own situation,
    some from people who have been for many years been doing long distance cruisinjg in earlier days with our family with children's .

There not been many years that we not met people that been trying to push there plain to the limits and it all full apart ,
    There boats up for sale .
    Some from here , there a few who we never hear from any more , three of I know why .
    these are not solo sailor who a couple of mates on a quick 1500 mile sail to where ever to leave there boat till the next year to start their cruise .
    but mostly family's where one of the partners can't take it any more ,
    Dreams of cruising are made in the lounges in central heating house , they full apart in some distance marina some within two year , that not to say your will

Most here have only taken in consideration part of your trip ,
    the reality is your plain is to do over 6000 miles in less 10 months with your family who are at a guess no experience at all at doing the type of non stop miles,
    so as I said before I wish you luck .
    Hopefully one day you came back and tell us all how wrong we all was .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 13-09-19 at 09:51.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    @ RRJ I don't think any of us have said that the miles you wish to do isn't doable , if you wish to read everyone posting ,
    Most where all trying to get you to think about adjusting your plain to a more realistic plain for a family just starting of on there dream cruise a plain that not only you will all enjoy but will give you all time to get more experience and get every member of the family use to doing long distance sailing .
    You just wrote your trip is time restricted , which is why you have this plain ,
    most of us know that if any thing going to go wrong will go wrong .

We have so far ourself done over two thousand miles this season , we cruised from North Africa to Italy , Sicily , south of France and work our way back south to Malta cruising Corsica and Sardinia .
    We not race pass these countries but spend time exploring them but we have 75 years sailing experience between us , I been cruising the Med 30 years so it not a big deal , but we not inexperienced family with children by your count ,

Your opening posting clearly came over to me because of the question that you asked that your experience is limit and on that basic I made my reply , I guess so did others
    You then suggested you thinking to take on a pro skipper for a few days to coach you , as a ex instructor, for the life of me I couldn't see what you expected to learn in a few days that you shouldn't already know taken on such a trip .
    What happen when you pro skipper suggest what we have been suggesting, do you just poo poo him .

People come on here every week and ask question we reply on their posting the best we can on what they tell us to try to help ,
    if you wrote ( we are an experience sailing family with plenty of long distance sailing experience) you would had got a very different reply .
    you alway will get different option some will be for thos who know it all know given you their story which is miles away for your own situation,
    some from people who have been for many years been doing long distance cruising in earlier days with our family with children's .

There not one year that we not many people that been trying to push there plain to the limits and it all full apart ,
    There boats up for sale .
    Some from here , there a few who we never hear from any more , three of I know why .
    these are not solo sailor who a couple of mates on a quick 1500 mile sail to where every to leave there boat till the next year to start their cruise .
    but mostly family's where one of the partners can't take it any more ,
    Dreams of cruising are made in the lounges in central heating house , they full apart in some distance marina some within two year , that not to say your will

Most here have only taken in consideration part of your trip ,
    the reality is your plain is to do over 6000 miles in less 10 months with your family who are at a guess no experience at all at doing the type of non stop miles,
    so as I said before I wish you luck .
    100% agree

i had a 17m yacht, all passage planning was done on an average speed of 5 knots. it proved to be remarkably accurate , especially for crew changes, usually arriving in good time, being early was a bonus! You'll may be doing a lot of motoring!!

Hi

We are setting off next summer on our long year away with kids, building up to ARC in November 2020. Stage 1 will be me taking the yacht from UK to Greece without the family; I am doing preliminary passage planning which includes lining up possibly interested crew (message me if interested!).

The point of this post is to ask for any advice from those who have done this before. Including but not restricted to:
    - how long would you allow? Boat goes 7-8 knots in most conditions.
    - where would you plan to stop? Slightly leaning towards delivery mode but there will be fuel/food/water stops and they might as well be pleasant. Or just leave it flexible?
    - how many crew do I want/need? I am leaning towards trying for two watch-keepers plus myself plus 2 crew who can be less experienced, but I may not find all that...I may also be persuaded to get a pro skipper on board for a few days in coaching capacity.
    - tips on pilotage resources/charts. I have navionics on plotter plus marine navigator on a tablet; I will buy large-scale paper. What almanacs, blogs, tidal charts are required?

Any thoughts welcome! I am of course doing lots of work/thinking on boat prep this winter but do pipe up on that sort of topic as well.
    Thanks in advance
    For the sake of your marriage, I suggest - once you have taken all the various advice into account - that you involve your wife in the planning. You have not said if she is experienced. She may not understand the things that could slow down the delivery to Greece or the Canaries.
    If you tell her you can get to Greece in 4 weeks she may expect that to happen no matter what. Same with getting back to the Canaries.
    If it were me Iíd go through the trip with her and identify ports of refuge that you can call into and leave the boat for repairs for a week or two if necessary. And talk about what you will do if youíre delayed on the way out to Greece or the way back to the Canaries.

From all the other advice you have received the trip sounds possible, but only if everything goes right. Problems with the boat or the weather can easily throw things off track and it is always better to think in advance about what could go wrong and how to plan for it. Thatís part of your passage planning.

And also manage expectations. You may have a month (or two, or three) less in Greece than your wife expects. Setting the expectation up front that the time in Greece might be shorter than she hopes could be important.
    Good luck. Fair winds.

tbh, if your plan falls apart a bit, the worse that can happen is that your wife and children will join somewhere else (italy/spain/portugal?) all seem good plans B.

Have fun! I am sure you will, and work hard on the boat from now on, it is no fun to finish off jobs underway.

Check the currents in the gibraltar strait, they are a bit special.

Thanks, good common sense at last 😉 will let you all know

Thanks, good common sense at last 😉 will let you all know
    There has been lots of good common sense advice based on the way the initial question was asked. Much of the advice has not been what you wanted to hear and it is your prerogative to ignore it. That does not mean that it was not well meant and that it is not sound.

Time will tell and I think that everyone wishes you luck😃

Well, there's certainly been some useful, specific and to-the-point information, including from your good self. And there's been some good common sense like "have contingency plans" and "talk it through with the family" which I take in good spirit, and consider since of course the plan is under continuous review.

And then there's been some other stuff.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567