Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Passage planning UK to greece

The fact that most voyages don't end in disaster is down to luck, not judgement (or preparation). I know this from experience of sailing long passages with some truly awful skippers on truly awful vessels (as well as some great ones too!)

I hope you don't mind me saying so, but the plan you're proposing and the questions you're asking suggest you don't have the experience to insist on a better plan. I wish you well, look out for a British 40ft Ketch as you whizz past Northern Spain early next year. Drop in and say 'hi' if you have time, we'll be the ones at anchor with the guard-rails covered in drying clothes and the captain throwing 2 tiny crew overboard for 'swimming lessons'! You might see 'Lucky Girl' on AIS if the instruments are on.

I just reread the OP and he says setting off next summer when is that May or June? He wants to go to Greece and then get back for the start of the ARC in November so 6 months for all that? Good luck with it but I don't think so unless it is a tour de force which will not be particularly enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    I just reread the OP and he says setting off next summer when is that May or June? He wants to go to Greece and then get back for the start of the ARC in November so 6 months for all that? Good luck with it but I don't think so unless it is a tour de force which will not be particularly enjoyable.

I think the once here encourages him have not read what the OP said ,
    Or took in what his plain is ,
    They Taken in the mileages multiple that by boats speed then adding a few days,
    It goes no where near what it takes to do a trip of this kind and as you said 6 months uk to Greece , Greece to canaries island
    That's without wear and tear plus damage he will do to the boat let alone him self .
    Maybe the question should be ask , what one island does he wish to see in Greece ?

One thing that really stick out in the first posting ,
    Put to one side all the question .

"I may also be persuaded to get a pro skipper on board for a few days in coaching capacity."
    Please RJJ dont take that the wrong way but To me that Telling me some thing .

I really do wish him well ,

I now will move on I guess what ever said here will not make a penny worth of difference as weeks in the trip will answer his question for him.
    Just like it's done for many others before him .

I suspected if he make Greece or some where in the Med we be Having another conversation where the best liveaboard marina to winter out .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 11-09-19 at 15:50.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    I think the once here encourages him have not read what the OP said ,
    Or took in what his plain is ,
    They Taken in the mileages multiple that by boats speed then adding a few days,
    It goes no where near what it takes to do a trip of this kind and as you said 6 months uk to Greece , Greece to canaries island
    That's without wear and tear plus damage he will do to the boat let alone him self .
    Maybe the question should be ask , what one island does he wish to see in Greece ?

A couple have posted they done what ever miles in X days , that must make them an expert.
    And the rest of us have whom spend many many years cruiseing have no idea what we talking about .

One thing that really stick out in the first posting ,
    Put to one side all the question .

"I may also be persuaded to get a pro skipper on board for a few days in coaching capacity."
    Please JJK dont take that the wrong way but To me that Telling me some thing .

I really do wish him well ,

I now will move on I guess what ever said here will not make a penny worth of difference as weeks in the trip will answer his question for him.
    Just like it's done for many others before him .

I suspected if he make Greece or some where in the Med we be Having another conversation where the best liveaboard marina to winter out .
    Lol

Mate, just because it’s not your cup of tea doesn’t mean it’s not his. If you think I just divided the mileage by his optimistic boat speed you’re making massive and incorrect assumptions about me. And I would guess the pro delivery skipper who also commented.
    What you have failed to do is read the OP.
    He didn’t ask if you would do it or if you think it’s a good idea. He asked for planning info.

He’s got about 6 months to get the boat via Greece to the arc start. He could take 2 months off and still do it.

His wife and family don't want to cross Biscay, I don't see them taking kindly to the delivery-trip from Greece to the Canaries

Quote Originally Posted by roaringgirl View Post
    His wife and family don't want to cross Biscay, I don't see them taking kindly to the delivery-trip from Greece to the Canaries
    Or from Gibraltar to Canaries. I guess to most of us it’s asking how to drive from London to Brighton via Edinburgh on a single Bank Holiday weekend. The lorry drivers are saying fine and the Sunday drivers are concerned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Or from Gibraltar to Canaries. I guess to most of us it’s asking how to drive from London to Brighton via Edinburgh on a single Bank Holiday weekend. The lorry drivers are saying fine and the Sunday drivers are concerned
    Or like the Irishman when asked for direction responded well if I was going there I wouldn't be starting from here.

UK to Greece. Three weeks, four possibly. Same Greece to Canaries, Mebbe less. So say two months. Mid May to mid November is six months. So that's four months in Greece. Dudes what are you making problems about?
    Personally I've sailed all that stuff, it's not half as hard as some are making out.

Quote Originally Posted by capnsensible View Post
    Dudes what are you making problems about?
    Personally I've sailed all that stuff, it's not half as hard as some are making out.
    Cos it's all lovely, why spend 2 months at sea moving the boat when you could spend that time not burning diesel and wearing out the boat exploring lots and lots of other lovely places.

Quote Originally Posted by GHA View Post
    Cos it's all lovely, why spend 2 months at sea moving the boat when you could spend that time not burning diesel and wearing out the boat exploring lots and lots of other lovely places.
    Mostly, I suppose, because the OP wants to go to Greece......

I've sailed past absolutely stacks of places, it's easy!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast