Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Passage planning UK to greece

Quote Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
    Hi

- how long would you allow? Boat goes 7-8 knots
    - tips on pilotage resources/charts. I have navionics on plotter plus marine navigator on a tablet; I will buy large-scale paper. What almanacs, blogs, tidal charts are required?
    1) It is c.2,500 to 3,000 miles. 3 to 4 weeks in “delivery mode”. Plus another 1,500 miles to the Canaries to start the ARC. A boat your size will average c. 5-6 knots as stated above plus stops along the way. You will be motoring more than sailing probably. For the Greece leg allow £500 to £1000 for diesel plus a similar amount for provisions.
    2) With respect, if you need to ask this you probably need more experience and training before asking strangers to accompany you.

I admire your ambition but I would recommend listening to the advice given above and take the direct route to the Canaries.

Thank you, 3-4 weeks was about what I had in mind.

Diesel expenditure sounds sensible, thank you. When you say "motoring more than sailing", assume light airs ... where, all the Med? Atlantic legs?

I consider myself sufficiently experienced and qualified; I could of course just do my passage planning privately and not seek any advice. I think it is prudent (not a mark of lack of experience) to sense-check my own thinking and to ask for tips particularly from those who have done this trip before; I am still hoping somebody might offer some response to the original set of questions. Resources, tides, major weather considerations etc.

Presumably, if people might be interested in joining me, they can take the chance to inquire about my experience and I will happily tell them, with references.

I really appreciate constructive advice.

Motoring more than sailing because of the need to maintain average speed in a straight line to prevent trip becoming even longer.

1) Wind on nose, particularly for the UK to Gibraltar leg
    2) Patchy Med winds during a day
    3) Periods of light airs

A mate delivered his shared boat from Portugal to the Canaries last year and spent 12 hours sailing during the whole trip because of wind direction and the need to keep to a schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    Motoring more than sailing because of the need to maintain average speed in a straight line to prevent trip becoming even longer.

1) Wind on nose, particularly for the UK to Gibraltar leg
    2) Patchy Med winds during a day
    3) Periods of light airs

A mate delivered his shared boat from Portugal to the Canaries last year and spent 12 hours sailing during the whole trip because of wind direction and the need to keep to a schedule.
    As a sometime delivery skipper, what he said. Plan your stops around motoring range and treat the saily bits as a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    1) It is c.2,500 to 3,000 miles. 3 to 4 weeks in “delivery mode”. Plus another 1,500 miles to the Canaries to start the ARC. A boat your size will average c. 5-6 knots as stated above plus stops along the way. You will be motoring more than sailing probably. For the Greece leg allow £500 to £1000 for diesel plus a similar amount for provisions.
    2) With respect, if you need to ask this you probably need more experience and training before asking strangers to accompany you.

I admire your ambition but I would recommend listening to the advice given above and take the direct route to the Canaries.
    Great info Dutch and you not far wrong if every thing was on your side .
    but as nearly everyone with any experience know , when you set your self to a time table that's when it all goes tits up .

We just waiting two weeks to cross from Sardinia to Malta 340 nm 68 hour trip if we didn't take that weather window it would had been another week at less and that was heavy going , we two very experience sailor who are use to sail in heavy weather , needed a good rest after that one .
    so just the give the OP some sort of idea their the 3 to 4 weeks from the UK to Greece gone for a burton .

It must sound that we all trying to put the RJJ off ,
    but looking at most prople who's replied knowing some of them and reading posting of others in the pass posting ,they all been there and done it, so it's all good advise your getting .

Good luck .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 08-09-19 at 09:22.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Thanks everyone

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

Quote Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
    I fully appreciate (thanks) all the excellent suggestions to enjoy Brittany, Spain and Portugal, and I am gutted particularly to miss the Rias, however the wife is totally set on this plan.
    She obviously has no idea what she will be missing. Hey-ho...

Her main argument, which is not unreasonable, is that we don't want to put the kids off by doing Biscay rather early in our travels. But I agree, so many people have said the Rias were the highlight of am entire year away. Boo hoo. Maybe I will pause there and arrive in Greece a week later!

...but what I am still hoping someone might help with is the constructive advice on weather patterns, tides, almanacs, charts etc. Thanks.

stingo is offline Account Closed (By user's request)

I had a similar plan, cicra two weeks for the Rias. Four months later....
    And her-in-doors? I walked her to the train station. Result - no more sailing to a schedule. I'm not suggesting you do the same, but as others have said, Spain and Portugal are just wonderful.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast