Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Is 3500 hours considered excessive for a 2007 boat with D6 engines on shafts ?

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Less than 300 hours a year
    Depends on how the they are done which is why so many cars now have variable service intervals
    If it’s a a lot of short sprints then not so good as opposed to semi displacement longer trips
    And how much HP is being used
    Do you have maintenance records which are best guide to state of engines along with tidiness of engine compartment

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Sounds like a charter boat. They are high hours.

150000 miles for a van, if your lucky another 100000 before major things start going wrong, 500 hours, unless its been used on long runs not too hard, then keep looking after them & the could go on for ever, nearly.

See if the oil change Fq tallyís with the hrs done not time ? Ie NOT only once every Easter .
    If it doesnít - walk away .

I suspect it's been a school/teaching boat so the engines are probably OK as it probably won't have done much fast stuff, but the gearboxes will be wanting a dose of looking at. D6 parts are expensive. Possible (likely) Seaplex issues too - very expensive parts.
    Personally I wouldn't go near it, the difference in price for considerably less hours doesn't make it worth the risk.

On general terms the answer is yes.

Comes down to condition of engines and price of boat. You will get hammered when you sell

Whilst apples and pears aviation engines are overhauled every 2000 hours. Same thing? No. Gives a vague idea though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Is 3500 hours considered excessive for a 2007 boat with D6 engines on shafts ?
    No if it’s been looked after with service intervals carried out to the letter .

Trying to sell it is a totally different matter .

I dream of doing them many hours on our boat

Over 3 years ago I sold my Phantom 43 , at the time I wanted to move into a Targa 47 with D9 575 engines.
    I found one in Holland which when the pound was good against the Euro the deal looked good, the boat was in very nice order but had done from memory just under 2000 hours and was 10 years old , it had done most of its work at low speed on the Dutch inland waterways .
    I just couldnít bring myself to go and look at it .

All I can say is that the boat is still for sale owned by the broker at Shipcar yachts , and of course as the pound has dropped it is no longer attractive to anyone with pounds in there pocket as it was 3 years ago.
    This is a good example why boats with high hours just donít sell .
    Iíve not checked recently but it was listed a couple of weeks ago , it not cheap and the hours recorded are not in the advert.

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast