Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

I guess it would need to be half the asking price of otherwise equal boats with less than 1000 hours .... ..but it isn't.

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I guess it would need to be half the asking price of otherwise equal boats with less than 1000 hours .... ..but it isn't.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by seastoke View Post
    I dream of doing them many hours on our boat
    Should have come out with us this morning Mr Marina Queen. It was glorious. The crew played pass the bucket to while away time. No clear winner. We're at Aber, bring your red.

I got a new Squadron 65 in 2015 which has C18 1150hp Cat engines. Five seasons later (though this one far from finished for me ) I've done 960 hours. The boat has fin stabilisers and we tend to potter along at c10 knots for much of the time though do at least 20 mins every 2 hours at 18 knots or so. The crucial thing is the amount of fuel the engines have burnt and my boat has a screen showing lifetime cumulative fuel use since new. If the D6's you're looking at do too then IMHO that's much more important than actual hours. Even if the seller has a spreadsheet showing fuel fills etc then that would be interesting. Notwithstanding the above, and as others have said, engine hours are still seen as one of the main gauges of an engine's wear so have a disproportionate effect on resale values. I'm hoping that with the technology starting to record cumulative fuel burn, that this will start to become an important factor - it's actually a much better indicator of the amount of work an engine's done!
    Last edited by MedMilo; 07-09-19 at 18:10.

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    I got a new Squadron 65 in 2015 which has C18 1150hp Cat engines. Five seasons later (though this one far from finished for me ) I've done 960 hours. The boat has fin stabilisers and we tend to potter along at c10 knots for much of the time though do at least 20 mins every 2 hours at 18 knots or so. The crucial thing is the amount of fuel the engines have burnt and my boat has a screen showing lifetime cumulative fuel use since new. If the D6's you're looking at do too then IMHO that's much more important than actual hours. Even if the seller has a spreadsheet showing fuel fills etc then that would be interesting. Notwithstanding the above, and as others have said, engine hours are still seen as one of the main gauges of an engine's wear so have a disproportionate effect on resale values. I'm hoping that with the technology starting to record cumulative fuel burn, that this will start to become an important factor - it's actually a much better indicator of the amount of work an engine's done!
    Have you backed up your higher than average ( comparable same boats in the market ) with a spread sheet of oil analysis?
    Also the engine hrs show total boat usage on other systems, eg plotter screen time on , getting ready to pop as in the first week with a new owner .
    Sure soft furnishings like carpets can be sorted by throwing cash @ before sale .
    It’s the hard stuff on or running all the time , prop shaft seals , rudder stocks .
    I,am thinking with a board of snakes and ladders a low hrs boat has disproportionately more ladders and a high hrs disproportionately more snakes to drop on after you shake the dice .

Or if running a boat costs in man maths way is £ X / hr , you have had far greater , taken out a far greater number of X ,s ......which shake out later as a price reduction at the end .

Each hr takes a chunk of resale out ........ irrespective of only looking @ engine health .
    The market , agree takes a myopic view to hrs and engine health , buts it’s all they have for comparison and understand .

I,am not saying you are but you can’t burn the candle from both ends .

It’s only money after all and when it’s time to get rid @ least you have had your fun and memories.

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post

In a planning boat do you think someone ( buyers engineer ) might scrutinise the hrs and fuel burn together and realise it’s not spent as much time as it should of done at P speed .
    The low fuel burn does not tally with the high hrs run ? .
    Then start a conversation ( if the engineer s worth his salt ) with the buyer about low EGT ,s and agglomeration and the effect on engine health .

Does anyone know of a privately owned diesel engined planing boat with worn out engines.
    I appreciate that D6 engines cannot be overhauled.

Not saying that 3500 hours makes these engines worn out but keep in mind that these engines don´t come with cylinder liners and can there for not be fully rebuilt
    When the cylinders go bad you need to buy new engines

Alleged average hourly usage per season supposed to be 50 hours.
    Would have no problem buying a boat with high hours but the price would have to reflect the inevitable just round the corner costs of having to replace a major component, which could render the boat simply not economic to repair.
    You might have forked out a fortune for new engine but the rest of the boat could be worth less than you paid.
    Plus the loss of the use of the boat and finding somebody prepared to fix it and then slot it into their workhop.Probably involving a lift out into the bargain.
    ......invariably something else will need doing while the job is in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Is 3500 hours considered excessive for a 2007 boat with D6 engines on shafts ?
    Is this the boat you are taking about .. I come across it other day . Nice boat but hours put me off in the end
    http://www.solentmotoryachts.com/boa.../Sealine-F42-5

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast