Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

It is still down to price and condition !

That is the cheapest one on the market ( I did one search only) but not by much.

Offer £100 k and see what happens.

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    In a planning boat do you think someone ( buyers engineer ) might scrutinise the hrs and fuel burn together and realise itís not spent as much time as it should of done at P speed .
    The low fuel burn does not tally with the high hrs run ? .
    Then start a conversation ( if the engineer s worth his salt ) with the buyer about low EGT ,s and agglomeration and the effect on engine health .
    Well let's hope that when I come to sell the boat a buyer / surveyor / engineer will understand the relevance of the relatively low amount. of fuel that's been through the engine. But who knows?! Anyhow, as you said, no point buying a boat and then either not using it or not using it as you want to - much better to be having fun and building memories! The S65 has been amazing for us in every respect and I can't see us flogging it anytime soon and tbh with the hours building up as they are the 'market value vs value to us' equation is only going one way!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift28 View Post
    Is this the boat you are taking about .. I come across it other day . Nice boat but hours put me off in the end
    http://www.solentmotoryachts.com/boa.../Sealine-F42-5
    Yes that's the boat I had seen advertised.
    All looked good until seeing the hours.

Could that be the Cameron House (Loch Lomond) boat (I know that was a Sealine but can't remember the model)?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift28 View Post
    Is this the boat you are taking about .. I come across it other day . Nice boat but hours put me off in the end
    http://www.solentmotoryachts.com/boa.../Sealine-F42-5
    Ah that will be the one owned and operated by Marine Matters at Warsash.

I think service history and maintenance records are as if not more important than hours.

My S34 has 1500hrs on its D4's. It has a pretty good history, mostly river hours with a few sharp sea blasts so fuel consumption will be low. I know of another S34 with D4s that have had one engine replaced at 400 hrs due to lack of servicing of the fuel system. The remaining engine was not serviced very often, spent a lot of time ticking over or thrashed around. I doubt the new owners know about any of that but they have a 500 hr boat and probably a clean survey.

I do agree with a previous comment on other wear though. My clutch cones are a little tired, needed new steering rams, drive cables, actuators etc. All factored into the offered and accepted purchase price so cant complain too much. And I know that side of things is worry free for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbroomlea View Post
    I know of another S34 with D4s that have had one engine replaced at 400 hrs due to lack of servicing of the fuel system.
    What is it on the fuel system that should be serviced, and if it isn't will write off the engine?
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Is 3500 hours considered excessive for a 2007 boat with D6 engines on shafts ?
    To answer the original question, I wouldn't call 3,500 hours excessive, I've known commercial boats with Volvo Pentas clock up over 20,000 hours with no sign of any maintenance beyond regular servicing.

Your big problem is that it is comparatively high hours, leading people to believe that it is excessive hours - as per many of the posts above, which is going to cause you a problem on resale.
    Ari

---------------------------------

If a man speaks in a forest, and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong..?

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    What is it on the fuel system that should be serviced, and if it isn't will write off the engine?
    Water in fuel. Fuel filters not changed for years eventually leading to injector failure and a nice hole in the piston crown.

If the filters had been changed then the water would have been detected, traced and fixed

Ultimately a well looked after and serviced engine will run for a long time and poorly maintained one will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbroomlea View Post
    Water in fuel. Fuel filters not changed for years eventually leading to injector failure and a nice hole in the piston crown.
    That story very much emphasizes the cost benefit of changing fuel filters annually regardless of hours.
    I know someone who has not changed his fuel filters in nearly 5 years so perhaps I will remind him

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast