Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

I always change all fuel filters, oil filters and change oil every 12m. For the cost of doing it against everything else boats cost its false economy not to. £20K for new D4 so a couple of hundred quid for new filters every year is a small price to pay :-)

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Quote Originally Posted by volvopaul View Post
    Ah that will be the one owned and operated by Marine Matters at Warsash.
    I wondered why the company name had been taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbroomlea View Post
    Water in fuel. Fuel filters not changed for years eventually leading to injector failure and a nice hole in the piston crown.

If the filters had been changed then the water would have been detected, traced and fixed

Ultimately a well looked after and serviced engine will run for a long time and poorly maintained one will not.
    That failure happens to some D4-300 even if they are serviced correct and low hours etc

Interesting, there is a commercially used BT for sale with 6000 hours. Do engines nowadays, with proper maintenance, ever wear out?

Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    Interesting, there is a commercially used BT for sale with 6000 hours. Do engines nowadays, with proper maintenance, ever wear out?
    Possibly not but the ancillary components may wear out?

Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    There are plenty of Onan generators with daft hours.

I suppose like your 6000 hour boat

- it is probably not operating under stress
    - it will not have continual stop start cycles
    - compared to others it has had comparatively little time to rot / rust
    - all the moving bit move regularly so won't seize up

It is still wearing. Would I buy it. No. Does it have life in it - probably - you just don't know how long. Will you be able to sell it? At the right price you can sell anything!

There's a Syndicate Sq52 in Alcudia that's well over 6000 hours and going strong I believe. It's not too much use that kills engines, it's too little.

Interesting discussion. The boat in question is a 2007 model (a fairly late model for that type). Having a quick look on the internet this boat looks to be the cheapest on the market (I know someone will find a cheaper one but I've only had a quick look) but it's probably the cheapest 2007 model by some margin. I'm just raising the point that the age of the boat has been largely ignored because of the high engine hours. Age has to play some part in the correlation, newer boats are more expensive than older ones of the same model. To my mind at least, the asking price does not seem so unreasonable compared to similar aged F42/5's with much lower engine hours but it does look expensive compared to older boats with lower engine hours. So, a potential buyer has to decide on an older boat with fewer hours or a newer boat with high hours. I don't know the answer to that in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    It's not too much use that kills engines, it's too little.
    I have experienced evidence of that first hand. Turbo rebuilt at 300hrs from new.
    First 200 hrs spread over 11 years with the first owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    To answer the original question, I wouldn't call 3,500 hours excessive, I've known commercial boats with Volvo Pentas clock up over 20,000 hours with no sign of any maintenance beyond regular servicing.

Your big problem is that it is comparatively high hours, leading people to believe that it is excessive hours - as per many of the posts above, which is going to cause you a problem on resale.
    The big issue being glossed over here is this ...... can it be re sleeved or / and a next number piston set be readily available for a rebuild ?
    Your know a wet liner type of engine .
    The D6 and D 4 canít they are literally throw away blocks .
    Where as earlier VP stuff was wet liner with replaceable liners .Hence the Zillion hrs in fact if you think about it ( with parts available) eternity.

In the real world itís nice to know in ď replaceable wet liner land ď that if thereís gonna be a problem primary due to high hrs it feels more economical to do a rebuild over a whole short block .

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast