Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

You buy it cheap and then sell it cheap when finished with it.

Pay more for a lower hours boat and sell for more when finished

no saving over buying a lower hours boat in my opinion, plus possibly a wider market to sell to if lower hours.

Default Re: 3500 hours .... is that considered excessive for a 12 year old motorboat?

Quote Originally Posted by MedMilo View Post
    I got a new Squadron 65 in 2015 which has C18 1150hp Cat engines. Five seasons later (though this one far from finished for me ) I've done 960 hours. The boat has fin stabilisers and we tend to potter along at c10 knots for much of the time though do at least 20 mins every 2 hours at 18 knots or so. The crucial thing is the amount of fuel the engines have burnt and my boat has a screen showing lifetime cumulative fuel use since new. If the D6's you're looking at do too then IMHO that's much more important than actual hours. Even if the seller has a spreadsheet showing fuel fills etc then that would be interesting. Notwithstanding the above, and as others have said, engine hours are still seen as one of the main gauges of an engine's wear so have a disproportionate effect on resale values. I'm hoping that with the technology starting to record cumulative fuel burn, that this will start to become an important factor - it's actually a much better indicator of the amount of work an engine's done!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrudge View Post
    There are plenty of Onan generators with daft hours.

I suppose like your 6000 hour boat

- it is probably not operating under stress
    - it will not have continual stop start cycles
    - compared to others it has had comparatively little time to rot / rust
    - all the moving bit move regularly so won't seize up

It is still wearing. Would I buy it. No. Does it have life in it - probably - you just don't know how long. Will you be able to sell it? At the right price you can sell anything!
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Interesting discussion. The boat in question is a 2007 model (a fairly late model for that type). Having a quick look on the internet this boat looks to be the cheapest on the market (I know someone will find a cheaper one but I've only had a quick look) but it's probably the cheapest 2007 model by some margin. I'm just raising the point that the age of the boat has been largely ignored because of the high engine hours. Age has to play some part in the correlation, newer boats are more expensive than older ones of the same model. To my mind at least, the asking price does not seem so unreasonable compared to similar aged F42/5's with much lower engine hours but it does look expensive compared to older boats with lower engine hours. So, a potential buyer has to decide on an older boat with fewer hours or a newer boat with high hours. I don't know the answer to that in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    If this is the boat I think it is, it has been owned by an RYA school that I have trained with and taught for.
    That goes in its favour, the school is one of the best in the area, it would have been fastidiously serviced, repaired as soon as required, looked after as normally has an instructor onboard, not thrashed. It is there to train on so couldn’t afford to have it out of service.

Relating to cars I have bought high mileage and low mileage. The low mileage I have always had problems where things break., at great expense. The high mileage things wear out at normal maintenance costs.

As said previously, the biggest killer of engines is not being used

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    Is 3500 hours considered excessive for a 2007 boat with D6 engines on shafts ?
    I am a bit flabbergasted by some of the replies. I have a sailboat (wonderful American terminology...) which has cruised the Atlantic and Mediterranean. The engine was new, but now has 900 hours on the clock after 2 years use. I do all my maintenance, and it seems to be in superb condition. Will it disintegrate at 3500 hours, or are motorboat engines of a lesser quality?

Quote Originally Posted by mbroom View Post
    I am a bit flabbergasted by some of the replies. I have a sailboat (wonderful American terminology...) which has cruised the Atlantic and Mediterranean. The engine was new, but now has 900 hours on the clock after 2 years use. I do all my maintenance, and it seems to be in superb condition. Will it disintegrate at 3500 hours, or are motorboat engines of a lesser quality?
    no, your yacht engine will probably last forever if you look after it and don't run it all day at full throttle.
    a planing motorboat engine is a very different thing. The reason people worry about hours on planing motor boats is that the engine(s) are always heavily loaded - load could 70% to 80% of the rated output while the boat is planing. People say they are like lorry engines which last a seriously long time, but a lorry doesn't spend all its time driving up a 1 in 10 hill all day every day.

How long will a planing boat engine last ? depends on too many things, could be 2000 hours could be 20,000 hours.
    Problem is no-one knows so people get wary. This particular boat has been used (I think) as a teaching boat so the engines are probably great. Well looked after, used most days,probably most of the time doing mooring exercises so probably had a very easy life. The gearbox clutches may need replacing, lots and lots of gear changes on a school boat - not rocket science and a lot cheaper than rebuilding an engine. So its buyer beware. At the right price arguably a good boat. £135K seems too much to me.

No they are not, yes they are stressed more, the driving point to the argument is at this age a boat goes by market value and regardless of whether the market is correct in it's assessment or not, it all boils down to perception and desirability.
    Personally I'd see this boat as a bit of a plus but then I'm stupid enough not to bother about resale values. Some wear their boats like it's investment jewellery, but personally I think they've chosen a poorly for a boat is neither.

Thanks for informative and well written replies

Nothing to add to the previous replies, aside from saying that I agree with them.

But if you don't mind me asking, 900 engine hours in 2 years on a sailboat?
    I would have thought that the whole point of carrying around a mast and all other associated malarky is to avoid using the engine...

Try sailing in the med... I hate motoring, but wind here is effing useless most of the time, especially when you have deadlines to meet.

I suspect a Merry Fisher would have been cheaper....

I expect your engine ,probably 40hp could be rebuilt ,if required, for a relatively modest sum.
    Much bigger cost risk with two 400hp engines.

So
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    I expect your engine ,probably 40hp could be rebuilt ,if required, for a relatively modest sum.
    Much bigger cost risk with two 400hp engines.
    So 400hp engines need rebuilt after a few hours?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast