Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat Transport

Default Re: Boat Transport

This is not an ideal time of year to be doing it.

I would be inclined to plan lots of short hops, maybe a morning run, then a lunch stop and an afternoon run if possible. Might make it less gruelling.

Perhaps head into the canals in Southern Brittany and come through the Rance to St Malo.

Then maybe Guernsey to Plymouth.

Morning merryfisher
    Fabulous idea but could I ask what is the longest passage you have made so far? Also do you have trim tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    You'd have to be absolutely nuts to do that trip in a MF 805 - if would be gruelling, stressfull, and use a load of fuel. £3500 is a good price, just stick it on a truck and enjoy it when it gets here.
    +1.
    Back via canals.Need some proof. Buy David Edwards -May book, Inland Waterways of France and spend a few winter evenings trying to add up the number of locks twixt there and here.
    and as for having 3 blokes, even your best mates, aboard for 6 weeks.! Assume one bog.
    Adventure or blimming hard graft. ?
    Do know somebody who went down throught the canals last summer to the Med, he came back by truck,enjoyed the trip but encountered delays and tribulations of all types some due to bad weather and floods.

As for doing it the long way round. you need to factor in weather and cost of stopping in Ports and Marinas on the way back.Suspect the range of the boat would be a limiting factor as well. Would you have enough fuel to get between 2 distant ports with enough in reserve to sleep at night..
    Do you have a second back up NAV plotter/ emergency liferaft etc, by the time you add all this kit etc etc .
    How about insurance. ?
    Just saying.
    Last edited by oldgit; 13-09-19 at 07:21.

Must be a lot of people never go past 5 miles from the marina. But there are those who enjoy pushing the boundaries, maybe a little inspiration here:-
    https://www.mby.com/video/the-great-...r-biscay-18737
    Obviously not a trip to be taken lightly but with carefull planning and Identifying plenty of bolt holes then probably doable. We find on long trips 75- 100 miles per day is plenty sometimes less. Presumably the boat will have something like a 200 mile range?

I'd originally assumed southern Spain but if it's northern Spain then its more doable if you can take your time.

Biggish standby outboard needed if you are driving it back.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Wrong end of the yer for gallivanting around the Bissau,put it on a lorry

I would seriously consider the inland waterway route, provided you had the time or could leave the boat on a safe mooring between stages.

look at John Boyle: Long Way Home,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhHMF2vNtZY

In unladen trim she is light enough to tow with a Navara, Landy or similar. If you have a suitable vehicle then you can rent a trailer and bring her back yourself.
    Brexit: Taking back our freedom as a sovereign nation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast