Thread: Boat Licence

Default Boat Licence

Hi again,

This is my second post but I thought I would keep them separate.

I do live in the UK but I hold a Spanish PER certificate which allows me to use a boat of up to 12m in Spanish waters.
    What is the UK's view on certificates? I know that it is not actually law to have a licence in the UK so could my PER cover me for using a British flagged vessel around Europe? Or is it because it is registered in the UK I do not need a licence anywhere at all as it is the laws from the UK?

I see it the same as merchant ships who might be flagged in the Bahamas but with mixed nationality crews.

Thanks again!

Default Re: Boat Licence

You are fine hiding or better worded adhering to your flag ď rules ď if you are transient .
    So sailing from Hamble to Sidney calling in as and when is Ok .
    But and itís a big BUT itís my understanding in the EU that the definition of ď transient ď is no more than 3 months .
    If you stay more than 3 months then I understand you should comply with the local rules / regs , you know qualifications , flares , fire extinguisher, other gear +++ much more .
    In other words if you are based in a EU country or exceed 3/12 intentionally * then ď when in Rome do as the Romans ..... ď

* I understand in exceptional circumstances they the host can temporarily extend the 3/12 - stuff like waiting for engine parts etc .

Regarding qualifications currently there are reciprocal agreements within the EU , but the other stuff you should adhere if itís your intention to stay longer than 3/12 .
    Last edited by Portofino; 08-09-19 at 17:57.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerryFisher View Post
    Hi again,

This is my second post but I thought I would keep them separate.

I do live in the UK but I hold a Spanish PER certificate which allows me to use a boat of up to 12m in Spanish waters.
    What is the UK's view on certificates? I know that it is not actually law to have a licence in the UK so could my PER cover me for using a British flagged vessel around Europe? Or is it because it is registered in the UK I do not need a licence anywhere at all as it is the laws from the UK?

I see it the same as merchant ships who might be flagged in the Bahamas but with mixed nationality crews.

Thanks again!
    What is PER? Does it give you an ICC (international certificate of competency)

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    You are fine hiding or better worded adhering to your flag ď rules ď if you are transient .
    So sailing from Hamble to Sidney calling in as and when is Ok .
    But and itís a big BUT itís my understanding in the EU that the definition of ď transient ď is no more than 3 months .
    If you stay more than 3 months then I understand you should comply with the local rules / regs , you know qualifications , flares , fire extinguisher, other gear +++ much more .
    In other words if you are based in a EU country or exceed 3/12 intentionally * then ď when in Rome do as the Romans ..... ď

* I understand in exceptional circumstances they the host can temporarily extend the 3/12 - stuff like waiting for engine parts etc .

Regarding qualifications currently there are reciprocal agreements within the EU , but the other stuff you should adhere if itís your intention to stay longer than 3/12 .
    Hi Portofino, thanks for the information. I do already have the flares, extinguisher etc as I think you would be nuts not to!
    It was purely from a certification point of view which you have answered. Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    What is PER? Does it give you an ICC (international certificate of competency)
    Hi Rocksteadee, it doesn't come with ICC. PER is a theory exam as well as 16 hours of practical tests at sea which I have done. It is essentially the same as the RYA but issues from the Spanish merchant navy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerryFisher View Post
    Hi Rocksteadee, it doesn't come with ICC. PER is a theory exam as well as 16 hours of practical tests at sea which I have done. It is essentially the same as the RYA but issues from the Spanish merchant navy.
    “Still” being in the Eu there might be some cross recognition between the Spanish and MCA or RYA. You may be able to apply to the RYA for an ICC