Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best hand held vhf

As the Southampton boat show is soon upon us, I thought Iíd go see if I could grab a bargain hand held vhf . Only needed as an emergency back up but, I donít want a sh1t one. It needs to be dsc, waterproof and have a good battery and range.
    What do you guys have and recommend ?
    Thanks

Default Re: Best hand held vhf

I like my icom M23 handheld.. which floats and flashes. I think there is a newer model but basically the same.
    It's not dsc nor does it have GPS but the battery life is months . I charge it perhaps twice a year .
    I fact I will charge it now as the last time was in the spring.

I have an old Icom HH VHF and it lasts over a season on one charge. Good receiving and calling also. If I were buying new I would go Icom.

I have an old Entel HT 640 non DSC ive had for 10 years which still lasts 3 days on the battery and has an excellent receiver in it.
    My new ICOM IC-M93D DSC lasts about 7 hours on its battery and its receiver isnt anywhere near as good as the Entel's

The ICOM does have a user friendly menu and DSC but TBH ive not been impressed with it. The plastic material ICOM have used also feels 'slippery' in the hand.

All depends what you want the hand held for, but i would recommend actually handling all the DSC radios at the show and then making a choice.
    Oh and checking what the real world battery life is of each.
    Last edited by Oscar24; 08-09-19 at 18:55. Reason: added to

I've got an entel 640 as well, I bought it at the Southampton show in 2006, its been bashed about, thrown in bags etc and still works fine. It's fairly simple with no dsc or ups, but does the job.

As the op asked specifically about a dsc set, not sure why the recommendations for non dsc models???

Battery life will always suffer with gps so you can not compare to non gps models.

Ive had the Icom 91D for 5+ years and for what you get the battery life is good, menus are simple and fits my hands well. Only real alternative is the Standard Horizon one which I have no experience of..
    Last edited by ctva; 08-09-19 at 19:29.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

I'm Not recommending the non dsc model that I have, but am recommending something else from entel that suits the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post

Battery life will always suffer with gps

That's a good reason to buy a simple handheld.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynG View Post
    That's a good reason to buy a simple handheld.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Standard Horizon HX890E. Waterpoof, feels good quality; I think there's a light that flashes if you drop it in the drink.

Battery lasts all day even with the GPS on (I use the 90% battery saving setting) and it also receives Radio 1, SAM FM etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast