Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ferretti preview Monaco

Ferretti run a preview show the weekend before Cannes at the Monaco Yacht club .
    Fortunately we had a VIP invite so went along it’s only a good 1 1/2 drive from Loano .
    This year Lionel Richie was the star guest

Here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zI-bUc2Gc1w

It’s different to normal shows as it’s a test drive show you go out on them , and no crowds or public ramming the place. That’s later in the week @ Cannes
    I managed to WOT the Itama 62 at 37 knots in a short sharp lumpy sea at all points , very impressive tbo .
    Hardly a drop on the screen . Some nice retro design touches .
    I found out the build numbers of the 62 and 75 and was contrary to popular belief impressed with current sales and availability of slots .
    Interestingly the fit n finish m build quality was exemplary across the range.
    Nice to see Wally in the fold too .

Default Re: Ferretti preview Monaco

Thanks L nice report. Did you go on any proper boats like a Ferretti?

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    . Did you go on any proper boats like a Ferretti?
    Only to compare build quality and it’s identical across the group .
    They had a debut modal but tbh it’s all a blur now .

I liked this rear seat touch on one of these and so did most guests .

A good place for an afternoon nap ?

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    A good place for an afternoon nap ?
    Thats cool. I like that!

I have to admit I have become a Ferretti fan boy. I had never heard of them until Mikef bought his latest boat. The new 470 got my attention, but the 70 footers are stunning.
    Quality.

Thats cool. I like that!
    +1 maybe a fridge within arm's reach would be good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Portofino View Post
    Since you saw the boats in flesh, how accurate do you think it appears the gelcoat colour in your pics?
    Ferretti never used 100% white gelcoat, but from your pics I would say that this one is a touch more beige than in the past.

Impressive exhibition, overall. It would have deserved a bit of appropriate flag etiquette, though...

They are all printed theses days I,am told right across the range .
    I asked if you can have them any colour and the answer was yes in theory .
    I guess there will be std colours and bit like cars extra € asked for none std .

The Ferretti “std “beige actually looked a tone paler than MikeF,s and Marc ,s .

There was a very while 108 custom line .
    Also the Itama 75 I mistakenly called it “ yellow “ to be corrected “ white “ .
    It’s varuous tones the inside cockpit area is darker than the hull , and helps blend the dark seating , and black carbon screen surround + HT etc .Inside was a lovely contrasting white ( American New England) cabin sole and steps .
    Once on it felt fabulous, the colour scheme . I guess it because you don’t see your own hull from inside the boat .

Also if you go back to the Itama 62 the topsides ( what little there is ) of that was off white .
    See the rolled towel on the sun pad and the name on the stern to see real white .
    But again the overall effect was stunning.

108 in white or a very light colour

Normal Ferretti beige .
    Last edited by Portofino; 09-09-19 at 06:29.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    I have to admit I have become a Ferretti fan boy. I had never heard of them until Mikef bought his latest boat. The new 470 got my attention, but the 70 footers are stunning.
    Quality.
    I blame my SWMBO. I'd never heard of Ferretti before I arrived in the Med. Our first boat in the Med was a Targa 48 and my SWMBO kept telling me to look closer at the boat next door which happened to be a Ferretti. Normally I dont take much notice of her but what did interest me was that the owner of the Ferretti seemed to be using his boat as a shagging pad because he'd turn up with a different woman every time he visited! Anyway once I'd been enticed to look at this boat, I did realise that the off white gelcoat was more pleasing on the eye in the bright Med sunlight than the stark white used by most other builders and I also found out later than the off white gelcoat resists chalking better than the stark white gelcoat as well. I also noticed that it was significantly more beamy than British boats of similar length too and I realised that this was another Ferretti characteristic. Not only does it allow more accommodation space but it also allows wider side decks and proper bulwarks. I also noticed the heavy and smooth grp mouldings, the chunky mooring gear and the flat working area at the bow making hauling in Med bow mooring lines that much easier. This boat also had the low flybridge profile characteristic of all Ferretti flybridge designs which I liked

Anyway those few months moored next to a Ferretti made us interested in buying one as our next boat. When we sold the Targa 48, which for a number of reasons didnt suit our needs, we very nearly did buy a Ferretti 145 but a survey which highlighted possible engine problems and an owner who wasnt interested in reducing his price in compensation eventually caused me to walk away. In fact our next boat was an Azimut AZ46, which is an excellent boat btw, but I still had a hankering to own a Ferretti. A chance meeting in Palma lead to the sale of the AZ46 and this time I was determined to buy a Ferretti. Thanks to the help of the UK Ferretti dealer, Ventura, we found a lovely Ferretti 46 in Holland which we shipped out to the Med and that lead to two more Ferrettis, a 53 and our current boat, a 630, all of which proved to be very fine boats and I have no regrets about owning any of them

However what I will say is this. Like most boatbuilders, Ferretti were hit hard by the global downturn and again like most boatbuilders Ferretti responded by cutting costs and IMHO you can see that in their current models at least in the sub 70ft range. The grp mouldings are not as chunky as they used to be, the beam has been reduced, interior furnishings have far less wood and weight has been reduced which allows them to fit smaller engines. Ferrettis used to be premium priced but the recent cost cutting has allowed them to become price competitive with other brands. If this is the way they have had to survive since 2010 than so be it but I find it slightly disappointing. For that reason, I would say buying an older secondhand pre 2010 Ferretti represents far better value than buying a new or newer one because the older models really were better than most of the competition but are now available at secondhand prices which are not far off the competition

SWMBO kept telling me to look closer at the boat next door which happened to be a Ferretti.
    Out of idle curiosity, you don't remember the model, do you?
    Based on the approximate timeframe, my bet is that she was either a 165 or 175.
    Back then, they were the first Zuccon designed Ferrettis, and after more than a quarter of a century, they still look more modern than many current boats.
    Which is a big tribute to him, and to NF who understood his potential.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast