Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: best and cheapes way to obtain boating quilifications

I’m not sure that I follow your post, razemeti,

There is no “yachtmaster” course, unless you are referring to Shorebased? Many schools do a YM exam prep week and these will be tailored to the needs of the candidates.

In taking a YM exam, you could be asked to demonstrate competence in any area of seamanship so a prep course is often used to brush-up known areas of weakness.

There is no celestial navigation content to YM Offshore Shorebased nor practical assessment.

YM Offshore and YM Ocean certificates of competence are issued by RYA and behalf of MCA. MCA is a government agency and our government is a member of the United Nations. The requirements for mariners crossing oceans is set by the UN and celestial navigation remains a part. I don’t believe it’s a history lesson.

I agree that Tom Cunliffe is a good author, though

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I still teach charts, they show a good understanding of knowledge, are tactile to work with, they are a back up and knowing how to use a chart makes it considerably easier to work a chart plotter.

In years to come I can see us losing the charts

Celestial nav is only required when going from YM offshore to ocean.
    I can fully understand charts, I even have a set for wherever it is I am sailing, however in the last 2 years, apart from getting them out to marvel at their loveliness and sort them back into their folios, I have not actually found a need to use them whilst on passage.

I know how to use them, how to calculate instant tidal flows and depths, I have the tidal streams atlas and last year I even purchased an almanac ... but, same as in my flying, I have come to rely on electronics. All the information is there in a more convenient and accessible form.

I suspect what I really need is some more experience of heavy weather boat handling, and not chickening out every time it gets to 30 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjackson View Post
    I’m not sure that I follow your post, razemeti,

There is no “yachtmaster” course, unless you are referring to Shorebased? Many schools do a YM exam prep week and these will be tailored to the needs of the candidates.
    Terms seem to have changed, Coastal Skipper now seems to be Yachtmaster Coastal. Whatever, the RYA still has a Coastal Skipper practical course - https://www.rya.org.uk/courses-train...l-skipper.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    I did a day skipper practical about 12 years ago, and last year bought a boat.

I've done around 1800 miles as skipper in the last 2 years, including the south and west coast of England and the east and south coasts of Ireland. Planning on going to Portugal for the summer next year, with a Biscay crossing.

I keep sorta thinking about doing the Yachtmaster course, but I'm put off it by the paper chart / celestial navigation aspects, which are more of a history lesson than practical use in todays world. I appreciate that it is possible the boat may lose all power, and some sea creature may board it that same night and eat the stock of spare batteries for the handheld GPS, but for my sailing, I am not really that interested in those aspects as a practical skill, although I am sure there is much else on the course I would find interesting.

I shall re-read more of Mr Cunliffes fine books this winter, however, I suspect I agree with his wife on the question of exams and certificates!
    No celestial navigation at on YM. The paper chart stuff is piss easy if you have the required mileage and experience, it really is simple stuff and common sense. Not historical by any means. I navigate by tablet now, but can go back to traditional methods when things fail, and I always double check my position.

Blimey,
    Such an array of conflicting advice.... I'm sure anyone would get confused with this. So many people answering questions that were not asked too...
    1988 Bayliner 2855

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Collis View Post
    Blimey,
    Such an array of conflicting advice.... I'm sure anyone would get confused with this. So many people answering questions that were not asked too...
    SNAFU then

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678