Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I judge plywood quality?

Quote Originally Posted by PetiteFleur View Post
    I was in our local Ridgeons builders supplier recently and noticed they were selling 'Marine Plywood to BS1088' it looked ok to me but as I didn't need any I just glanced at it and mentally noted it. I believe 'BS1088' is not relevant nowadays? Ridgeons are based in East Anglia and their timber is usually better than J****** who are across the road.
    I've bought marine ply (BS1088) from Ridgeons, and it seems to be what it says it is. I didn't find any voids or other nasties in it, and I'd imagine Ridgeons are the sort of company that would do their homework on their suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by KellysEye View Post
    The best quality plywood is marine ply, the highest quality is the Dutch made Kuyper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    I have used ply from this company. Its good quality and durable. They deliver. May not be the cheapest but I now know I can trust them and know I will not regret in 10 or more years time. http://www.robbins.co.uk/marine/sheet_materials.asp

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
    I bought a full sheet of marine ply from Robins and have been cutting small bits from it. About 2 years after purchase I found the middle plys were completely separated. I contacted Robbins and they requested that I send them a section, which I did, so they could send to their Dutch supplier for QAQC check.

To great credit, the next day, before I had even sent off the damaged bit (I had sent pictures the day before), a brand new sheet arrived. Robbins is a company you can trust and customer service is excellent, as I found out. The new sheets has since been used up and not a fault in it. Hence, I just assumed I got a bad sheet.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Thanks again, the links to Robbins and Ridgeons are helpful.

I have used Robbins and James Latham’s https://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/products and have had excellent quality products from both. Knowing that the time and cost of almost every job we did in the refit of Paean was many times the cos of the materials, only the best would do. I do not want to be re-doing a job because of a material failure just a few years on.

Caveat emptor! Plywood today is not what it was, If you want quality you have to pay for it. Effectively this means Robbins or Similar, Brynzeel is the rolls royce of ply but has a price tag to match. Used to be available from Silvermans then Timbmet but minimum orders applied.
    I would not trust any exterior ply made in the far east as i have seen too much even stamped bs 1088 that must have been stuck together with wallpaper paste.

I have used plywood in construction, not on boats. I simply ask in the timber merchants for a decent WBP plywood that has a structural certifiction to it. Interestingly the merchants I use, non of their marine plywood has that certification meaning it cannot be used in construction as it would be failed by the building Inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishscorp View Post
    meaning it cannot be used in construction as it would be failed by the building Inspector.
    Unless it was for a structural component, such as, for example, an "I" beam where the grade would be specified by an engineer ( one would probably buy pre-made anyway) is there a situation where the building inspector has a say in the quality of plywood used?
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Unless it was for a structural component, such as, for example, an "I" beam where the grade would be specified by an engineer ( one would probably buy pre-made anyway) is there a situation where the building inspector has a say in the quality of plywood used?
    Sorry I should have said in use as part of a structural component.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12