Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mechanising a Broom Radar Arch

Hello,

I am looking at buying another Broom which though the Radar arch is already hinged it is not mechanised.
    I am looking for a company who could fit it with hydraulics. A powered system not just gas struts. While I know Broom can do the job they want an incredible amount of money to do the job and need the boat taken to there yard.
    I would like to find somebody on the South coast or the Thames who would be capable of doing the whole job.

thanks
    iosman

Default Re: Mechanising a Broom Radar Arch

Been there and posted an identical post. I gave up in the end and fitted gas struts.
    I am pleased now that I didn't waste the money on hydraulic or electric. Its quicker cheaper and I am able to raise or lower the arch on my own with one hand. That is on a 450 probably the heaviest and biggest of all the Broom arches.
    The cheapest quote I managed was £7500 for hdraulics Brooms wanted £11000, most companies never bothered quoting.

Dave

So, if you dont mind me asking, roughly how much were the gas struts to implement?

Look on RS Components website.
    They list S/S gas struts. You need advice on weight to lift and mounting position of struts. Both are critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabordi View Post
    So, if you dont mind me asking, roughly how much were the gas struts to implement?
    Less than £1000 can do you some photos if it will help. What Broom is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbroom View Post
    Less than £1000 can do you some photos if it will help. What Broom is it.
    Its a Crown, i am member of TWYC, perhaps we can chat about it at the Laying Up?

I am intrigued I haven't worked out who you are. But yes we can talk then. Clive off Secret Diva was looking to fit hydraulics till he saw how easy mine was and now just fitted struts

Dave

Problem with mine is that its an earlier Crown and the Arch at rest is slightly forward leaning, where the later ones were leaning towards the stern. This means i have to go through a slack on any strut before they engage. HOpe that makes sense.

Yes you have the initial weight to overcome before you can take advantage of the assistance

i was thinking of a stainless slider before the strut engages, my mate has a newer crown and hence i have the size and power rating of the struts from RS Components, the clever bit for me is going to be the fittings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast