Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Finding nail and screws

Quote Originally Posted by fisherman View Post
    Rare earth magnets are pretty good, pick up a nail through an inch of wood.
    I've just bought some small ones via eBay, thanks, and will try them out on some 'known' problems, before addressing the teak. Even if they prove ineffective, there's no harm to be done. I can always find other jobs for them to do around the boat....

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I've just bought some small ones via eBay, thanks, and will try them out on some 'known' problems, before addressing the teak. Even if they prove ineffective, there's no harm to be done. I can always find other jobs for them to do around the boat....
    They are marvellous to put away 'later' but too close to the compass. Take care.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    They are marvellous to put away 'later' but too close to the compass. Take care.

Jonathan
    Yup! I knows about that....

'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away' I made up one-third of a crew on a Rival 34, which had stopped for the night in the anchorage at P'D ( centre right ). Following a night in the 'Inn Of the Trouserless' ( lower right ), and following a 'kind of discussion', we set off for Tobermory and the Sound of Mull. This lies more or less north.....

I was interested to note that the owner/skipper, a very august maths academic and one-time Dartmouth graduate, noted the compass heading, steered to it, and set the Autohelm. I was also interested to note that the whole of the southern coast of Mull lay on our starboard bow, some miles off. The two, both academics, continued their academic discourse.

The weather was fine, I wasn't averse to 'the long way round', so I let this continue for a while to see who would notice and what would develop.

After the best part of an hour, the younger and boaty-inexperienced one, showed signs of puzzlement. He went below, peered at the chart, and came back more puzzled. I busied myself with something or other, until eventually he hesitantly asked about which bit of Mull he was looking at. The skipper-laddy gave him a condescending look, peered at the bulkhead compass, tapped it, and stared sternly forward.

The younger academic came and sat by me. "I'm a little confused," he muttered. "Shouldn't Oban be off to our right, behind a low island? I can't make out where anything is....."

It didn't take long for him to deduce, logically, that it was the compass reading 'North' which had deceived him and his world view. Despite there being some magnetic anomalies around, that was the largest Deviation by far I'd seen..... and told him. "There's something disturbing the compass. Let's see if we can track down what it is....."

It didn't take long. The owner's shiny Plastimo HBC was upright in a little teak rack, on the inside face if the cabin bulkhead, and right hard against the steering compass. "Try shifting that," I suggested. Yup.

An effective early lesson. But the boat's owner was too up himself to register the problem - or the solution. The HBC was replaced in its smart little teak holder, and there it stayed....

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I use small magnets to hold covers over electrical access panels closed. I started using velcro but they would fall off due to the heat.

BTW I do have a steel boat so my compass has more outside effects than some small magnets inside my hull.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Try searching on fleabay for a 'GP Pointer' metal detector wand, looks like a carrot in various colours and will run about £15 or so from a UK seller, note lots of chinese sellers so check the seller/item is actually in the uk and delivery times or you could be waiting weeks for it to arrive. They have a detection range of about 2" to 3" and work a treat. They are made in china but work fine, lots of vids on youtube to demonstrate how they work.

I went back to Robbins Timber/James, the source of my lumps of teak and of my problem. Their guy James bought a 'Little Wiz 2' scanner device from Axminster Tools, which does the job well. That's what I'm now doing.... so my tame joiner can stop sucking his teeth and stroking his chin in fear for his thickness-planer's blades.

Edit: It emerges the product is called 'Little Wizard II' and I found it in 'Rutlands', who despatched it pdq. So far, so good....
    Last edited by zoidberg; 18-09-19 at 20:52.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12