Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    When Tesla makes their big electric trucks a success then there will be the ability to have the drivetrains marinised
    Firstly I'll believe that when I see it and secondly it takes a lot more power to shift a 50ft motorboat at 30kts than it takes to shift a 44t artic truck at 50mph

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Firstly I'll believe that when I see it and secondly it takes a lot more power to shift a 50ft motorboat at 30kts than it takes to shift a 44t artic truck at 50mph
    But electric is different, instead of one engine you can have a motor at each wheel. So a big boat might look like one of those American fast fishers with a whole row of huge outboards on the stern
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

But electric is different, instead of one engine you can have a motor at each wheel. So a big boat might look like one of those American fast fishers with a whole row of huge outboards on the stern
    Yeah but a motor boat effectively spends its whole life going up a hill. Number of engines is irrelevant, it's energy usage that's the issue for motorboats.

Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    Yeah but a motor boat effectively spends its whole life going up a hill. Number of engines is irrelevant, it's energy usage that's the issue for motorboats.
    But a motorboat has an advantage, there’s plenty of room for solar panels and generators (whatever they are running on). Besides electric motors have a good torque curve (flat line)

But a motorboat has an advantage, there’s plenty of room for solar panels and generators (whatever they are running on). Besides electric motors have a good torque curve (flat line)
    You could cover the whole boat in solar panels and you still wouldnt generate enough electricity to push the boat along at just a few knots, let alone 20kts. And this is a very generalised statement but torque only gives you acceleration. To maintain a boat and any given speed you need a given amount of power

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    You could cover the whole boat in solar panels and you still wouldnt generate enough electricity to push the boat along at just a few knots, let alone 20kts. And this is a very generalised statement but torque only gives you acceleration. To maintain a boat and any given speed you need a given amount of power
    Yes but it’s instant torque (full torque at zero revs) so that has to go someway in pushing a boat efficiently

On a car, once you are at cruising speed you can mostly lift your foot off the throttle. Indeed at motorway speed my car tells me the engine is making 20-30hp, so pretty efficient.

On a boat if you lift the throttle in the same way you slow down greatly. Eg you need a constant 200-300hp to maintain a cruising speed (like driving a car up a never ending hill).

This is why electronic power is unsustainable for planing boats needing any kind of range.

There were, of course, electric boats at the show and hybrids are usually featured. I can’t believe I’m defending electric boats, in the Lounge I’m the guy who’s always anti electric car! Mind you, I have just seen a review for the Hyundai Kona. Very interesting

If they had electric boats at the show, what were their cruising speeds and ranges?

Anyhow I think my next car will be electric. Probably an i3.

I don’t see leisure boating carbon foot print bubbling up to a political surface as such the end users end up restricted in use age , if that’s what theses recent threads are inferring .
    Sure any other industry easily or other perhaps semi engineered “planet saving “ tactics will be used , but more as a marketing ploy .
    The reason is the usage is so low , fast P boats spend 90 to 95 % of there life ( May be more ? ) tied up in the marina .
    Plus on the rare occasion they run as mentioned the engines are running on what ever tier of EU or WW emissions tech anyhow .
    Part of the land motivation with the anti diesels mob , is currently driven by city health issues , you know particles kids and cyclists inhale etc , that driver is not here in leisure boats .
    As far as the fossil fuel running out eco argument, there’s plenty in the earth ,but extraction costs may rise .
    I don’t think the relative price will significantly increase to kill off fast planing the leisure boat industry.
    Quite the opposite. The markets expanding into China , Asia , S America and indeed the EU and N Africa Med rim .
    As affluence increases generally then in a pyramidal way once all have the basics like running water , TV , food chain reliability, then comes luxury goods and leisure time to use them .

As far as tech goes in diesels working from land based particular emissions reduction will cascade into leisure boats at the engine manufacturers source not from governments.
    Ie say move from 4 valves to 5 valves with twin sequential injectors , tossing a pair of sequential variable vane turbos , all controlled by a super ECU etc etc ,
    A firm like MAN or CAT and even Volvo will adopt common cylinder head and turbo tech across the range .Or what ever tech emerged .
    Pretty much MAN do anyhow , the truck and marine engine cylinder head gear are interchangeable tech wise .

But as said the numbers in total gross fume output with automotive and leisure boats are incomparable .
    Even if you compare one to one units .
    Wife’s Audi 2.0 TDi( the infamous VW scandal motor ) doing 20 K Km to the boats 13 L MAN 2876,s x 2 doing 60 / 70 hrs
    The numbers of WW , VAG com 2.0:TDi owners running a leisure boat as well are in a fraction of single digit % .

Eco marketing is powerful so hence there will be always a section at boat shows attractive to some .

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast