Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    She great isn't she? The perfect antidote to Boris, Cummings, Rees-Mogg, Farage, Trump etc. She's the future, no wonder they hate her.
    You can read my opinion in the Lounge
    Neither a Leaver or Remainer be

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,518

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    You can read my opinion in the Lounge
    You do surprise me

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    I really like the works of Luca Santella but I keep wondering; how are you supposed to bring the mooring-lines from the stern to the bow on the BGX70?

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lochaber
    Posts
    7,261

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    Unfortunately, Greta (the darling of the ban everything brigade) made a special point of showing the world that fossil fuel burning boats are a bad thing
    I would suggest the point she was making was more about aircraft than boats. Logically banning pleasure flying would make much more sense than pleasure boating as far as the environment is concerned.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    SoF
    Posts
    9,841

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by gordmac View Post
    I would suggest the point she was making was more about aircraft than boats. Logically banning pleasure flying would make much more sense than pleasure boating as far as the environment is concerned.
    When she got towed out by electric ribs I think the point was made

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,518

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouba View Post
    When she got towed out by electric ribs I think the point was made
    What point was that?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,322

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by okumonux View Post
    I really like the works of Luca Santella but I keep wondering; how are you supposed to bring the mooring-lines from the stern to the bow on the BGX70?
    Well on a boat of this size and cost, I expect you tip the marineros €50 or whatever to come out in their RIB and hand you the mooring lines at the bow. Failing that I guess you need 2 crew and a boat hook to get the lines past the bulkheads aft. This isnt the only boat which has these issues

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    Well on a boat of this size and cost, I expect you tip the marineros €50 or whatever to come out in their RIB and hand you the mooring lines at the bow. Failing that I guess you need 2 crew and a boat hook to get the lines past the bulkheads aft. This isnt the only boat which has these issues
    Indeed; at least two crew for one mooring line. If picking up the mooring line, without passing it, I assume the boat hook must at least be 4 meters long? (the point from where to pick up the mooring line seems at least 12 meters away from the dock). At least the idea behind the BG62 was not to have crew around; it just seems odd for a product pointing at its practical design.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Malta - Med Sea
    Posts
    3,659

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by vas View Post
    so, looks like the solution is cat(ish) hull form mobos doing D speeds only with lots of solar panels, smart generators and el.engines...

    Greenline still about or died?

    V.

    PS. 3full weeks on board my 43ft 12t planning hull mobo, we did circa 380nm and burnt around 700lt of diesel on lowish D speeds (due to either fishing at 3.5kn or blocked watermaker prefilters - had to do 5kn max from one anchorage to another in order to make water...). Did anyone mind, nope!
    It exists allready https://www.silent-yachts.com/

    And yes Greenline are going stronger then ever, but are less hybrid then as @ launch.
    I think they sold about 10 of the new 45 which launched in end July before Cannes opened, and it has a hybrid option.

    I will add that the batteries thing is a total waste and very bad for the environment, production and dismantling wise. Not during use but to produce.
    This a whole marketing B/S and a way to make people spend money. I saw quite a few reviews where producing a mid-size electric car did more harm to the environment that a BMW 5 series with a 3.0 liter diesel engine after 500k mark. The report included damage to the environment for the production the use and the scrapping of the car. The diesel car did less damage.

    Hydrogen is the real solution but somehow the bureaucrats in the Western World do not want it to make it work for now....
    Last edited by PowerYachtBlog; 12-09-19 at 16:16.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    55,322

    Default Re: Can they Re-Invent Motor Yachting?

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerYachtBlog View Post
    And yes Greenline are going stronger then ever, but are less hybrid then as @ launch.
    I think they sold about 10 of the new 45 which launched in end July before Cannes opened, and it has a hybrid option.
    .
    The reality of hybrid boats is that you can only cruise a few miles at dead slow speeds and then, if you want to go faster or cruise for any distance, you have to start the diesel engines. So, at that point, all the electric motors and batteries are doing is adding weight to the boat and increasing fuel consumption. So, if you want to do a bit of green willy waving to your mates in the marina, you leave your berth under battery power but as soon as you're past the breakwater and out of sight, you switch your diesel engines on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to