Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Locker ventilation

I have a fair amount of condensation in my cockpit locker, used for ropes, fenders etc. I do try to air it on a sunny day. Iíd like to fit a vent on the vertical surface and was considering one of the small shell vents. Would these be reasonably good at keeping rainwater out? I think the louvre type might leak. Iíll make another vent internally between locker and cabin to give flow hopefully.

Default Re: Locker ventilation

I think you are right in trying to get air to flow through the locker but you wouldn't want it to make condensation worse inside the yacht.

There's an enormous amount of types of vents but I think the clam -shell is probably better at keeping water out. If there is a strong breeze I wouldn't put much faith in a louver type vent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...w=1016&bih=560

Maybe I should fit two.

Quote Originally Posted by Impaler View Post
    Maybe I should fit two.
    One at low level and the other at high level if there is room.

You can use ducting to place the vents in a more convenient deck area and then connect them to the locker. I have vents on my cockpit coaming side, one of which is ducted into the engine space, works well enough.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

All the salt in and on ropes, fenders, etc., which in turn ends up on the walls and floors of lockers, will attract moisture, in addition to any condensation issues. Worthwhile giving all them a good rinse from time to time, in addition to any other measures you might take.

Is the Op's boat an Impala?

ISTR a couple of shell vents fairly high up the transom on ours?
    If you add a closeable vent between cabin and locker, you may be able to get air through the whole boat.

I think it will be difficult on a small mono-hull (why don't people define their yacht - different yachts need different solutions!) but we vent from the anchor locker in the bow right through to the stern, and have computer fans wired to the fridge and freezer to encourage the air flow. Our initial idea was to increase circulation round the fridge and separate freezer and by 'accident' we took the fresh air from the anchor and chain locker (which are combined or interconnected). Because our freezer is under the cabin sole and just forward to one engine bay we simply ducted right through and then into the engine bay (where we have blowers).

As I say this might be difficult, if not impossible on a smaller yacht (like and Impala or Sonata) but internnecting lockers is simply something to think about - and then your vents need not be exposed to the elements.

Advice on washing the locker(s) out with fresh water, every time you wash the decks (with fresh water) is an excellent idea - and extend that cleanliness to your chain/anchor locker - and your chain will last longer. Hanging spare ropes, that might be wet, on locker walls (so that they air and dry) is also a good idea.

Adding a grating to the locker floor (any locker that takes wet gear, chain or rope) will allow water to drain away and, marginally, increase air flow. (Google 'fibre glass gratings', I think Lockers in the UK might supply (but you need offcuts not whole sheets) or suppliers for marina decking).

Jonathan

When I bought my current boat it came with a very basic cockpit tent. Originally I thought I'd never use it but am finding 1,001 uses for it. One of those uses is opening hatches and ventilating things like cockpit lockers.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

If you are on mains then Iíd vent between locker and cabin and use a dehumidifier- they transform the smell of a boat in a way that ventilation alone cannot ( but people who donít notice their boat smell will deny this - just try going into one of their boats).

And do of course wash the salt out of everything as often as you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast