Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20

    Angry Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Has anyone ever come across paper towel in their fuel tank (which subsequently clogged the fuel uplift pipe) ?

    Engine conked out leaving Poole harbour Saturday having arrived from Cowes the previous day where I had brimmed the tanks.
    Seastart dragged back to Salterns where my engineer kindly came out on Sunday (with the wife no less having cancelled their
    own day out on their boat) to take a look and to his surprise said..."I've found paper in your fuel tank, any idea how it might have
    got there?".....Answer...."Absolutely NONE!".....

    Boat lives in the dry stack in Hamble (the bottom rung).....so I can only think of fuel theft (where they've cleaned up and pushed
    the towel down the filler pipe) or being first to the fuel jetty where paper towel has been left somewhere in the refuelling rig which
    would be extra-ordinary. No work has been done to the fuel tank so no reason paper should be in there (and believe the problem
    would have manifested itself before if that had been the case!)


    Safe to say, I've been left very confused.....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    essex
    Posts
    8,005

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    No way it could have accidentally got in on a fill up, how much are we talking.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    ation, Loc: ation, Loc: ation.
    Posts
    16,332

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin1976 View Post
    Has anyone ever come across paper towel in their fuel tank (which subsequently clogged the fuel uplift pipe) ?

    Engine conked out leaving Poole harbour Saturday having arrived from Cowes the previous day where I had brimmed the tanks.
    Seastart dragged back to Salterns where my engineer kindly came out on Sunday (with the wife no less having cancelled their
    own day out on their boat) to take a look and to his surprise said..."I've found paper in your fuel tank, any idea how it might have
    got there?".....Answer...."Absolutely NONE!".....

    Boat lives in the dry stack in Hamble (the bottom rung).....so I can only think of fuel theft (where they've cleaned up and pushed
    the towel down the filler pipe) or being first to the fuel jetty where paper towel has been left somewhere in the refuelling rig which
    would be extra-ordinary. No work has been done to the fuel tank so no reason paper should be in there (and believe the problem
    would have manifested itself before if that had been the case!)


    Safe to say, I've been left very confused.....
    I like your theory that someone has stuffed some paper towels up the nozzle, perhaps as an (unfunny) practical joke?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Conwy
    Posts
    4,075

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I like your theory that someone has stuffed some paper towels up the nozzle, perhaps as an (unfunny) practical joke?
    Far more likely somebody with twin fuel tanks didnt want fuel spilt on his teak decking when traversing between tanks and the attendant did not remove it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by petem View Post
    I like your theory that someone has stuffed some paper towels up the nozzle, perhaps as an (unfunny) practical joke?
    Sometimes if the filler is on the sea ward side folks stuff paper up the nozzle as they man handle the pistol back across the boat to the land .So,s not to spill any , drop any fuel on upholstery etc .
    Usually the attendant once handed the pistol , sorts it out .... puts it back removes any tissue etc , gets the price off the screen and so on .
    If so perhaps a piece of wet paper broken off a bit deeper inside ( depending on how far it’s was stuffed ? ) .
    So even if an experienced attendant took what he/ she thought was all the paper out they inadvertently hung it up with a piece in ready to go into the next customer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Boat- Western Med
    Posts
    5,214

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
    Far more likely somebody with twin fuel tanks didnt want fuel spilt on his teak decking when traversing between tanks and the attendant did not remove it

    X posts you type quicker .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Difficult to estimate exactly how much but quite a few sheets.....parts had broken up but some were still pretty intact as the fuel and tank were cleaned and I watch it pass through the see-through lines.....clumps in various different parts of the tank. Only time the tanks have been opened were a year or so ago when i had diesel bug (and that is what I assumed had returned at first!). It isn't a big tank either at 250lts.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,446

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    A serious question; have you fallen out with anyone who might have access to your boat?
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    20

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Much as the last person I offered...and then lent my hose to put it back on my boat having broken it.....much as the odd person nearby can't be bothered to go and ask the marina to open up a cabinet to plug in their shore power in winter and finds it easier to take someone elses.......not really, it isn't in my nature to fall out with people!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    438

    Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

    Has the tank in previous years ever been cleaned out and the paper has only just been sucked up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to