Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Paper towelling in fuel tank!

Only work on the tank was diesel bug last year where the tank was completely cleaned (and fuel polished) and boat has had a few hours put on since. Fuel itself was as clean as a whistle with no evidence of diesel bug so can't believe that paper was in there then and given the time, the individual sheets were still relatively intact.

Had a dead mouse, reckon it has rested on a shelf in the tank since build, ten years later !
    David

Fuel filters are made from paper . So fuel perhaps doesn't dissolve paper towels?

You learn something every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin1976 View Post
    You learn something every day!
    how did you see full sheets in your tank

what a nightmare. I know a bloke who had all sorts of problems with an engine cutting out and invested a lot of time and money into getting it sorted and it turned out that he had his tanks 'professionally' cleaned after having the bug and they had left a mop head in there.
    As everything sloshed around, the mop head would get sucked to the pickup, engine would stop, mop head would drop off and engine could restart and the cycle continued

The most important and most problematic find in a fuel tank I found when looking for a fuel starvation problem was a metre length piece of sikkaflex, this was partially sucked up the stack tube .

This was on a sealine Sc 29, this happened again on 2 different boats .

Not boat related, but a long time ago my wife had a problem with her MGB (I said it was long time ago!) which kept stopping and then restarting a few minutes later, went to the local garage a couple of times and they were baffled so decided to remove the fuel tank, she rang them up and they said we've found the problem but you have to see for yourself - they had found a golf ball in the tank which had unravelled itself - the strings of rubber kept going up the pipe and blocking it. No idea how the ball got there.

Had problem intermittent fuel starvation710hp cat caused by pipe blanking tap in tank picking up happened 4 times. Put Endoscope in tank and luckily found it

I had endless blockages on one tank. constant source of fibrous crud in the filter. Eventually I emptied the tank and cut an inspection hatch in the top. I found the remains of a wooden handle wire brush disintegrating.

I reckon it had been there since Fairey built the boat in 1969.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12