Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default polystyrene fish boxes

These bloody things are a plague on the environment. The fishing season only resumed here in Turkey on 01 September but already they're all over the place. It's not easy to recover them from the sea when single handing and they break up almost immediately when they go ashore on anything except a sandy beach. Just one box breaks into millions of beads easily ingested by fish. Are these still in use in the Europe?

Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

Yes. I thought the same when I was at a fish merchants and a lorry load was delivered. They do get re-used but inevitably are difficult to clean and start to break up, or they end up in city centre restos etc. Should be banned, but they are so good at the job. Any fishing port will have fragments blowing about.

I picked up 3 off the beach today where I go to swim. I have them on the boat and my only option is to put them in the bin at the marina which means they'll go to a landfill. Grieves me but I don't know what else to do with them.
    These things must be expensive to transport relative to their value.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Until I retired I worked part time for a leading bio-science company, packing their product in special containers for dispatch to customers world wide.

These products arrived from the USA in very strong and dense polystyrene boxes, containing in many cases dry ice or refrigeration ice packs.

I would clean some up and take them to Abingdon Market on a Monday and swop them for a lobster, prawns or fresh fish.

The guy's at Selsey Shellfish loved them and said they lasted better than any others they could get hold of.

I am not surprised-the ex-factory cost for purchase of thousands at a time was 50 US Dollars! That was 8 years ago.

They had to meet strict airfreight transport requirements and be happy with contents weighing over 30 kilos and down to minus 80 degrees C.

So, ones that dont break up are available, but at serious cost.

The company I worked for paid serious money to have them collected and disposed of.
    Last edited by rotrax; 10-09-19 at 11:52.

Will wicker (and reed) baskets make a comeback?

Eco friendly, and lots of work making/repairing them for the sorts of places typically suffering from high unemployment.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Will wicker (and reed) baskets make a comeback?

Eco friendly, and lots of work making/repairing them for the sorts of places typically suffering from high unemployment.
    Unhygienic & difficult to clean, perhaps should be replaced by the 'plastic' raffia they make those fancy garden sofas out of, at least they last jetwashing.

Fish quality has been improved a great deal in recent years, all small boats now carry insulated bins which, with sea water slush ice keep fish in top condition. A white fish fillet keeps for 21 days at 1 deg, three days at 10 deg, so maintaining low temp is essential, right up to the point of sale. Unfortunately polyboxes are very good at this.

I understand the immediate value of these boxes to the fishing industry but does anyone understand the longer term affects on fishing from the damage being done to our seas and oceans by these and plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I understand the immediate value of these boxes to the fishing industry but does anyone understand the longer term affects on fishing from the damage being done to our seas and oceans by these and plastics.
    Of course. Just that some people are litter bugs who happily defile the world, and some of us take care to bag up the bits for landfill. It would be much better if other solutions could be found, as in the cases of air travel and road vehicles, also huge pollution problems.

I imagine very few of these are deliberately discarded at sea but they're so light a gentle breeze can blow them overboard when they're empty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast