Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Far S. Cornwall
    Posts
    13,327

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    You might be interested to know that nylon netting, often blamed for ghost fishing, is brought ashore, stripped from the ropes, bagged up in builder bags and collected by an outfit that turns it into plastic pallets. Just to point out that we are making efforts to reduce pollution.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Far S. Cornwall
    Posts
    13,327

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I imagine very few of these are deliberately discarded at sea but they're so light a gentle breeze can blow them overboard when they're empty.
    They don’t get taken to sea. The insulated bins are robust not disposable.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Greenwich
    Posts
    7,557

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I imagine very few of these are deliberately discarded at sea but they're so light a gentle breeze can blow them overboard when they're empty.
    I’m not so sure - we see a lot of them in the Med and off the Atlantic coast of Morocco and they are nearly always damaged so I think just chucked over at night.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Türkiye
    Posts
    1,590

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I’m not so sure - we see a lot of them in the Med and off the Atlantic coast of Morocco and they are nearly always damaged so I think just chucked over at night.
    I pick them up whenever I can including 3 yesterday and the vast majority are clean and in good condition suggesting accidental loss.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Far S. Cornwall
    Posts
    13,327

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I pick them up whenever I can including 3 yesterday and the vast majority are clean and in good condition suggesting accidental loss.
    Can't speak for Turkiye.....

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,166

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    What is it with fisherman?

    Every place I have been in the world it's nearly always fisherman that ruin the water and shoreline. If it's not polystyrene, it's discarded bits of plastic fishing nets, or bits of engine parts, rubber gloves and all sorts of ropes. Then there is the sundry rubbish they throw overboard as routine. The used engine oil containers. And to top it all off nicely, they destroy the fish stock (and then moan that there are no fish to catch) by over fishing, whilst doing their level best to destroy the sea bed by dragging huge lumps of metal along it to scoop up a few shellfish.

    And then they moan constantly that they are some sort of special case and should be cared for and protected by governments, as if they were sacred to humanity. More like we need protected from fisherman!

    To complete my rant (sorry) - they make sailing in dark a gamble on actually getting to the destination unscathed (at least here in the Clyde) with lobster pot markers (specially small, so nobody can see them) seemingly in all the routes we need to use.

    For some strange reason my autopilot insists on going out it's way to to aim straight at them during the day. I assume therefore it's trying to do the same at night, so that's kinda screwed up my winter night trips to Rothesay!


  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Türkiye
    Posts
    1,590

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by asteven221 View Post
    What is it with fisherman?

    Every place I have been in the world it's nearly always fisherman that ruin the water and shoreline. If it's not polystyrene, it's discarded bits of plastic fishing nets, or bits of engine parts, rubber gloves and all sorts of ropes. Then there is the sundry rubbish they throw overboard as routine. The used engine oil containers. And to top it all off nicely, they destroy the fish stock (and then moan that there are no fish to catch) by over fishing, whilst doing their level best to destroy the sea bed by dragging huge lumps of metal along it to scoop up a few shellfish.

    And then they moan constantly that they are some sort of special case and should be cared for and protected by governments, as if they were sacred to humanity. More like we need protected from fisherman!

    To complete my rant (sorry) - they make sailing in dark a gamble on actually getting to the destination unscathed (at least here in the Clyde) with lobster pot markers (specially small, so nobody can see them) seemingly in all the routes we need to use.

    For some strange reason my autopilot insists on going out it's way to to aim straight at them during the day. I assume therefore it's trying to do the same at night, so that's kinda screwed up my winter night trips to Rothesay!

    I can't speak for the Clyde but here on the Aegean I'd have no doubt that recreational boaters are responsible for most of the rubbish we see floating in the sea or littering the beaches. Actually commercial fishing is prohibited for 5 months in the summer and yet I see more rubbish in the summer rather than the winter and I boat 12 months of the year. Over fishing is a problem everywhere but it's hardly up to individual fishermen to give up their livelihoods - some concerted international action will need to be taken at inter-governmental level to compensate fishermen for decommissioning their vessels. Along the Aegean coast all fishing is effectively inshore fishing because of the closeness of Turkey and Greece and there's no doubt stocks have been decimated but still I can't blame the fishermen who's only other choice is to starve.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Beach. CA.
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Slight thread drift..

    California has a law that prevents restaurants from providing a plastic straw unless asked for, so most places now provide paper straws that are useless and often don't even last the meal before needing replacement. The justification for this was the straws were causing ocean pollution.

    Unfortunately take aways weren't included in the ban. Is it more likely a straw from a drink 20 miles from the ocean in a restaurant or from a MacDonalds ( other take aways are available!), a few blocks from the beach will end up in the ocean? I eat McD so not judging the customer base but when you see the take away wrappers thrown on the ground a few feet from the bin I'm pretty sure of the answer.

    W.
    .

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Far S. Cornwall
    Posts
    13,327

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by asteven221 View Post
    What is it with fisherman?

    Every place I have been in the world it's nearly always fisherman that ruin the water and shoreline. If it's not polystyrene, it's discarded bits of plastic fishing nets, or bits of engine parts, rubber gloves and all sorts of ropes. Then there is the sundry rubbish they throw overboard as routine. The used engine oil containers. And to top it all off nicely, they destroy the fish stock (and then moan that there are no fish to catch) by over fishing, whilst doing their level best to destroy the sea bed by dragging huge lumps of metal along it to scoop up a few shellfish.

    And then they moan constantly that they are some sort of special case and should be cared for and protected by governments, as if they were sacred to humanity. More like we need protected from fisherman!

    To complete my rant (sorry) - they make sailing in dark a gamble on actually getting to the destination unscathed (at least here in the Clyde) with lobster pot markers (specially small, so nobody can see them) seemingly in all the routes we need to use.

    For some strange reason my autopilot insists on going out it's way to to aim straight at them during the day. I assume therefore it's trying to do the same at night, so that's kinda screwed up my winter night trips to Rothesay!

    SOME fishermen.......

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,166

    Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Slight thread drift..

    California has a law that prevents restaurants from providing a plastic straw unless asked for, so most places now provide paper straws that are useless and often don't even last the meal before needing replacement. The justification for this was the straws were causing ocean pollution.

    Unfortunately take aways weren't included in the ban. Is it more likely a straw from a drink 20 miles from the ocean in a restaurant or from a MacDonalds ( other take aways are available!), a few blocks from the beach will end up in the ocean? I eat McD so not judging the customer base but when you see the take away wrappers thrown on the ground a few feet from the bin I'm pretty sure of the answer.

    W.
    Interesting. I have not really noticed overflowing bins when I am over there. I happen to go to California quite a lot and will be heading their again in exactly two weeks. I have taken a mental note to have a look at the bins.

    From what I have observed in California, the coast is absolutely pristine. Not a sign of any pollution or litter or any pollution. Obviously I have not scoped out every inch of coastline, but I am familiar with all the coastline between San Francisco and San Diego and it's totally immaculate. It could be that they make an effort to clean things up to keep it like that. That wouldn't surprise me as there is always someone cleaning the streets or beaches. I think they are a bit obsessed with what the place looks like. In Long Beach they got Disney to design what looks like an island with palm trees, but it's actually an oil platform or something very similar i.e. ugly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to