Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: polystyrene fish boxes

Quote Originally Posted by asteven221 View Post
    Interesting. I have not really noticed overflowing bins when I am over there. I happen to go to California quite a lot and will be heading their again in exactly two weeks. I have taken a mental note to have a look at the bins.

From what I have observed in California, the coast is absolutely pristine. Not a sign of any pollution or litter or any pollution. Obviously I have not scoped out every inch of coastline, but I am familiar with all the coastline between San Francisco and San Diego and it's totally immaculate. It could be that they make an effort to clean things up to keep it like that. That wouldn't surprise me as there is always someone cleaning the streets or beaches. I think they are a bit obsessed with what the place looks like. In Long Beach they got Disney to design what looks like an island with palm trees, but it's actually an oil platform or something very similar i.e. ugly.

Trust me at water level, certainly in Long Beach it is appalling - partly due to the crap the LA river brings down. The beaches are cleaned nightly but take a walk on any of the LB ones and you'll see the crap washed up daily.

The bins aren't full - just the consumers are too lazy to use them...

Yep, the oil islands Close to a 'posh' part of town so they were made to look more attractive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THUMS_Islands

If you want a beer or in my case a rum while you're here let me know!

W.

Banning or taxing single use plastics works. Anywhere charges have been levied for supermarket bags usage has collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    Banning or taxing single use plastics works. Anywhere charges have been levied for supermarket bags usage has collapsed.
    Has it though?

We have dozens of the $0.10 bags around the house. Plus the local DIY store still gives away the cheap,and nasty ones which we use to line the trash cans.

W.

I understand the immediate value of these boxes to the fishing industry but does anyone understand the longer term affects on fishing from the damage being done to our seas and oceans by these and plastics.
    All plastics are an environmental nightmare in the making.
    [https://www.theguardian.com/environm...plastics-study

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Has it though?

We have dozens of the $0.10 bags around the house. Plus the local DIY store still gives away the cheap,and nasty ones which we use to line the trash cans.

W.
    I wasn't aware diy stores could still give them free in the UK. Batteries still can here in Turkey. Still Google tells me that issue of single use plastic bags in the UK has dropped from 7.5Bn in 2014 to 1.1Bn in 2018/19. That's a collapse in my book and it's still reducing albeit not fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    All plastics are an environmental nightmare in the making.
    [https://www.theguardian.com/environm...plastics-study
    Totally agree but the reality is we could hardly live without plastic at this stage - most of our boats are plastic.

Sadly the sale of single use shopping bags is not the whole story. If the figures for the corresponding increased sales of small bin liners are included, it looks like we still dont "get it".

I wasn't aware diy stores could still give them free in the UK. Batteries still can here in Turkey. Still Google tells me that issue of single use plastic bags in the UK has dropped from 7.5Bn in 2014 to 1.1Bn in 2018/19. That's a collapse in my book and it's still reducing albeit not fast enough.
    I don't know about the UK - I'm in California.

The reality is they charge you $0.10 for a reusable bag that you never (in my case), remember to reuse.

There is probably 20/30 around the house. There is a company here that recycles them or repurpose them to needy places - we keep meaning to send them all off...

W.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    Sadly the sale of single use shopping bags is not the whole story. If the figures for the corresponding increased sales of small bin liners are included, it looks like we still dont "get it".
    I have no real experience of the situation in the UK or indeed CA but on my reasonably regular visits to Ireland I'm very impressed with the recycling regime. Every house has 3 separate bins for recyclables, biodegradables and other waste such as kitchen waste. Bin liners are only used for the kitchen waste. There are big fines for incorrectly sorted waste. Littering has become more and more socially unacceptable and posting videos on social media of fly tippers has become a national pastime

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Trust me at water level, certainly in Long Beach it is appalling - partly due to the crap the LA river brings down. The beaches are cleaned nightly but take a walk on any of the LB ones and you'll see the crap washed up daily.

The bins aren't full - just the consumers are too lazy to use them...

Yep, the oil islands Close to a 'posh' part of town so they were made to look more attractive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THUMS_Islands

If you want a beer or in my case a rum while you're here let me know!

W.
    I will take you word for it. Although I have hung about the center of Long Beach looking over to the QM I have not walked about the beach, so I expect you will be right. I only go to the posh bits!

2 weeks (not that I am counting the minutes!!) right now our flight leaves Gatwick!! Great offer of a beer and one that would be nice to take up if practical. Our son lives in Newport and we might might or might not bother with a car so it's a case of seeing what happens. Cheers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast