Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 183

Thread: RNLI

  1. #111
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35,535

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Not if the other choice is ( and it usually is) savage beatings, ostracism, acid in the eyes, public floggings, stoning to death.. or long terms of imprisonment, as happened to an Iranian lady a few days ago for the crime of not wearing her scarf properly. Freedom to cover up? The phrase is a sick joke.
    The RNLI are well out of their depth on this one, a double figure % drop in tin collections is inevitable, big big mistake.
    Yeah, apparently the wider public ain’t as selfish folks around here..

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...feboat-charity

  2. #112
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Yeah, apparently the wider public ain’t as selfish folks around here..

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...feboat-charity
    Ahh.. The Guardian, whose readers only start donating to the RNLI, when they read that the money goes to paying for the subjugation of girls and women in distant theocracies. Fascinating.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

  3. #113
    photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35,535

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Ahh.. The Guardian, whose readers only start donating to the RNLI, when they read that the money goes to paying for the subjugation of girls and women in distant theocracies. Fascinating.
    It wasn’t the guardian who published the story.... it was the times and the daily mail.

    Maybe your reactionary thinking is not as prevelant as you believe??

    Either way, your wrong.

  4. #114
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch01527 View Post
    It is not racist or sexist to question overseas expenditures or the sacking of volunteers for a naughty mug in a cupboard. I suspect that most donations come from people who would ask such questions.
    As I mentioned on here last year when the story originally broke, no one got sacked for having a naughty mug in a cupboard, or for any other minor transgression. The tabloid press portrayed them as such, as it made a better story.

    This is what the RNLI said at the time:

    "We do not stand volunteers down lightly. We recognise the years of dedication and the skill involved in becoming a crew member, helm or Coxswain. We fully understand and respect the close bond and camaraderie of our crew and other volunteers. We know that friendly banter is a key part of this.

    But to be clear – we simply will not tolerate lifeboats being taken for joyrides in rough weather without full crew. We don’t accept that hard core, graphic pornography has any place at a lifeboat station. We will not tolerate threats of violence towards our volunteers or staff. We will not stand for bullying or aggressive behaviour."


    And as a long-serving crew member, I have to agree.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

  5. #115
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    It wasn’t the guardian who published the story.... it was the times and the daily mail.

    Maybe your reactionary thinking is not as prevelant as you believe??

    Either way, your wrong.
    So objecting to charity donations being spent on the cruel enforcement of sharia is now 'reactionary thinking'? What a time to be alive.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

  6. #116
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Usually at a lifeboat station, somewhere in Southern England.
    Posts
    174

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    Don't know much about this but a friend - once a coastguard - says RNLI are tow trucks. Anyone in real danger gets a helicopter. How true would that be?
    A lot of the calls are indeed to broken down pleasure boats. But on many occasions I have pulled people out of the water who probably wouldn't have survived another minute.
    And sadly in a few cases, didn't.
    I'm not a spokesman for the RNLI. I just happen to drive one of their lifeboats.

  7. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    635

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Twothree View Post
    As I mentioned on here last year when the story originally broke, no one got sacked for having a naughty mug in a cupboard, or for any other minor transgression. The tabloid press portrayed them as such, as it made a better story.

    This is what the RNLI said at the time:

    "We do not stand volunteers down lightly. We recognise the years of dedication and the skill involved in becoming a crew member, helm or Coxswain. We fully understand and respect the close bond and camaraderie of our crew and other volunteers. We know that friendly banter is a key part of this.

    But to be clear – we simply will not tolerate lifeboats being taken for joyrides in rough weather without full crew. We don’t accept that hard core, graphic pornography has any place at a lifeboat station. We will not tolerate threats of violence towards our volunteers or staff. We will not stand for bullying or aggressive behaviour."


    And as a long-serving crew member, I have to agree.
    It's the public's impression of the RNLI that matters when volunteers are shaking the tins, and millions now believe, rightly or wrongly, that the charity has taken a wrong turning, or several. For this reason alone, they ought to admit a mistake, stop sending money to distant lands for dubious projects ( money which risks being diverted by local gangsters anyway) and assure the public that all donations are spent in UK waters. There are already numerous other ways of giving foreign aid.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

  8. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,810

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Twothree View Post
    As I mentioned on here last year when the story originally broke, no one got sacked for having a naughty mug in a cupboard, or for any other minor transgression. The tabloid press portrayed them as such, as it made a better story.

    This is what the RNLI said at the time:

    "We do not stand volunteers down lightly. We recognise the years of dedication and the skill involved in becoming a crew member, helm or Coxswain. We fully understand and respect the close bond and camaraderie of our crew and other volunteers. We know that friendly banter is a key part of this.

    But to be clear – we simply will not tolerate lifeboats being taken for joyrides in rough weather without full crew. We don’t accept that hard core, graphic pornography has any place at a lifeboat station. We will not tolerate threats of violence towards our volunteers or staff. We will not stand for bullying or aggressive behaviour."


    And as a long-serving crew member, I have to agree.
    Thank you for that. You have shone a light on the background to the story and I now understand it and support the RNLI position.

  9. #119
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,550

    Default Re: RNLI

    On the mugs and Jersey issues, I 100% supported the RNLI. I nevertheless believe that wading into the Muslim women and other foreign matters to be quite wrong.

    The RNLI volunteers are beacons to humanity; their management increasingly prone to chronic missteps; missteps which increasingly endanger their hitherto sticky funding base. Not good.

  10. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    9,810

    Default Re: RNLI

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    On the mugs and Jersey issues, I 100% supported the RNLI. I nevertheless believe that wading into the Muslim women and other foreign matters to be quite wrong.

    The RNLI volunteers are beacons to humanity; their management increasingly prone to chronic missteps; missteps which increasingly endanger their hitherto sticky funding base. Not good.
    I think I detect the "advice" of HMG behind these foreign adventures of the RNLI.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to