Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    ......... Switching to one of the excellent UK independent lifeboats would be another option.
    That’s a great idea. You could donate to any of the Solent Safety Organisation independents. I suggest Solent Rescue would welcome donations and would make them work harder than the RNLI.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    For a starting point Iím amazed that there are a 130 staff at head office that the RNLI have now worked out they donít need, how did it ever get to the point that there were so many nonproductive staff anyway.
    Secondly I really hope that some of the 130 include the P.C. Snowflakes that were responsible for the suspension of active crew members for various harmless activities.
    Gettting rid of 130 managers and administrators is probably no bad thing (unless you are one of them) and it's a bit shocking they have so many to cut from!

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Twothree View Post
    Perhaps, although I don't know, as I've never been there.

The comment about the RNLI failing to manage the station for years is very relevant though. These various instances of crew being stood down never stem from one single incident. There will usually have been a problem developing for some time, which hasn't been dealt with effectively at a local level.

A few years ago I was on a course down at Poole, and in the bar one evening we got chatting to a crew member from another station.
    She told us that although she loved lifeboating, and being a part of the RNLI, there was a horrible atmosphere at her station. A senior crew member, who she described as a bully, was running the station very much on his own terms, resulting in a high turnover of crew, as many simply voted with their feet and walked out when they couldn't put up with it any longer. Others had been sacked from the crew because this individual had fallen out with members of their family. He had no time for any RNLI rules or procedures, he did things his way.

And lo, it came to pass that a couple of years later, that same senior crew member was one of those featured in the papers, having been sacked by the RNLI for a single, innocent mistake, the only one in his otherwise unblemished career.
    I read a few of the reports now and this was the undertone I was getting from each article now confirmed by yourself.

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug, the naughty mug is an excuse to get rid of someone who, no matter how good they were/thought they were, was ultimately bad for moral or who was consistently a troublemaker to the organisation.

There are several weapons in a companies arsenal for situations like these, for example the three strikes and your out for sickness and timekeeping that conveniently is "at your managers discretion" in other words be a bully/misogynistic/racist and be off sick 3 times and you're out the door, or be an exemplary employee and be off sick three times and your manager can waive the dismissal for previous good conduct.

However I am surprised to read that the RNLI spends money in foreign countries and a little disappointed that the money(unless as reported it is due to specific donors requests for ALL the money spent on the different situations) is not kept to get our own house in order however that is due to my own ignorance for not researching the company before I signed up. Won't stop me from supporting though, as when/if that time comes I like knowing that there will always be someone when the call is made for help - whether it be as a glorified tow truck(due to my complete ineptitude to be the perfect sailor as others so clearly are) or in a genuine emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by alex_m24 View Post
    I read a few of the reports now and this was the undertone I was getting from each article now confirmed by yourself.

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug, the naughty mug is an excuse to get rid of someone who, no matter how good they were/thought they were, was ultimately bad for moral or who was consistently a troublemaker to the organisation.

There are several weapons in a companies arsenal for situations like these, for example the three strikes and your out for sickness and timekeeping that conveniently is "at your managers discretion" in other words be a bully/misogynistic/racist and be off sick 3 times and you're out the door, or be an exemplary employee and be off sick three times and your manager can waive the dismissal for previous good conduct.

However I am surprised to read that the RNLI spends money in foreign countries and a little disappointed that the money(unless as reported it is due to specific donors requests for ALL the money spent on the different situations) is not kept to get our own house in order however that is due to my own ignorance for not researching the company before I signed up. Won't stop me from supporting though, as when/if that time comes I like knowing that there will always be someone when the call is made for help - whether it be as a glorified tow truck(due to my complete ineptitude to be the perfect sailor as others so clearly are) or in a genuine emergency.
    I believe this sort of weak management is often to blame for poor industrial relations and is effectively no different to the bullying and misconduct it claims to deal with. Inconsistent application of sick policy or sacking staff for seemingly trivial offences leads to mistrust and dissent among the rest of the workforce and permits an autocratic and bullying management ethos. If these employees are really a problem as described in a few posts above they should be dealt with firmly and properly and ultimately dismissed accordingly. That's real management.

"phenomenal support from those new donors which share its new objectives."
    Got a link to that quote? I can't find it with Google.

I notice some independents have been mentioned. Some links here to make it easy for people:

https://www.freshwaterlifeboat.org.uk/donate.html
    https://haylingrescue.com/support/
    https://www.justgiving.com/hamblelifeboat
    http://gafirs.org.uk/donate/
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/solent-rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    Got a link to that quote? I can't find it with Google.

I notice some independents have been mentioned. Some links here to make it easy for people:

https://www.freshwaterlifeboat.org.uk/donate.html
    https://haylingrescue.com/support/
    https://www.justgiving.com/hamblelifeboat
    http://gafirs.org.uk/donate/
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/solent-rescue
    No sorry, I don't have a link; the quote referenced a radio interview with an RNLI legal representative/lawyer (female voice) a couple of days after last w/e's media splash.

The thrust of what she was saying was consistent with the message carried by the RNLI's Twitter and other social media campaigns, namely that the RNLI has no intention of either backing down, or openly discussing its new objectives.

And I think that continues to be its official position.

Re the links to independents: very useful summary.

No sorry, I don't have a link; the quote referenced a radio interview with an RNLI legal representative/lawyer (female voice) a couple of days after last w/e's media splash.
    FWIW I don't think it's fair to use quotation marks in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    FWIW I don't think it's fair to use quotation marks in that way.
    Why should a radio statement be treated any different to written text?

Quote Originally Posted by alex_m24 View Post

Nobody gets sacked or dismissed from a job/position for something trivial like having a naughty mug,.
    Although if you are told on multiple occasions by your boss to get rid of the mug because we no longer live in the 1970s or treat the world like an episode of "On the Buses", then you can be fairly sacked for not obeying your boss' instructions. That is 100% fine, and frankly if someone is going to arse around over something so petty as a mug (why is it so important they have that particular mug anyway, other than some sort of infantile need to show off) then it gives no confidence they will not also decide to have some sort of desire to muck about on the water when lives are at stake. Nobody gets sacked for a mug, unless it is particularly and outstandingly grotesque, but, just like in every other workplace across the land, you will get sacked if you do not do what your boss tells you to.

As for the RNLI providing aid in other countries, nobody seems to mind the RNLI's stations in the Republic of Ireland. That alone seems to make the furore about aiding, poorer nations which are (mostly) also former colonies of the UK, and, unlike Republic of Ireland, members of the Commonwealth, somewhat suspicious in terms of its motivations.

[QUOTE=Skeffles;6914534

As for the RNLI providing aid in other countries, nobody seems to mind the RNLI's stations in the Republic of Ireland. That alone seems to make the furore about aiding, poorer nations which are (mostly) also former colonies of the UK, and, unlike Republic of Ireland, members of the Commonwealth, somewhat suspicious in terms of its motivations.[/QUOTE]

Background here:
    https://rnli.org/about-us/our-histor...ish-free-state

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast