Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Young adult (15 - 24) literacy rates in Bangladesh are 93% for women and 90% for men. The evidence does not support a claim of general hostility to women's literacy there.
    This is going to be a very short thread if you expect postings to be based on facts.

It's probably going to be a long, I hope significant thread, perhaps most significant since BORG fighting for Studland.

I know Jumbleduck slightly from tv and e-mails and admire him and his taste in boats enormously, but I have to say in a kindly way I think his altruistic thinking is awry on this one - the wrong people to give it both personally and company / indeed nation wise, may not be received kindly and a very wrong idea from all perspectives, I hope this does not go too badly as in ' RNLI bod killed by Taliban ' - absurd but that's what they're getting into, no more ' put a penny in the slot to make the lifeboat launch ' in collection boxes in pubs...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.
    Last edited by LONG_KEELER; 15-09-19 at 20:36.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

I'm happy to accept Jumbleducks' bet that the vast majority of donators to the RNLI are

A, unaware of this overseas aid,

B unhappy about it when they learn of it.

How do we prove it one way or another though ? The RNLI would say ' everything's spiffing ' if a huge asteroid was aiming for Poole
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Is there a management crisis at the RNLI? They seem to be lurching from one bad decision to another with resultant disastrous PR consequences.

I have donated over 30 years to support their volunteers who I admire massively. It would be a real shame if their management lost the good will these brave men and women richly deserve.

It is not racist or sexist to question overseas expenditures or the sacking of volunteers for a naughty mug in a cupboard. I suspect that most donations come from people who would ask such questions.
    Last edited by Dutch01527; 15-09-19 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    How do we prove it one way or another though ?
    Ensure the collection tins and boats eatc are completely covered in black cloth but with just a small slit for the money slot

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Try reading https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...wning-epidemic - absolutely NOT the latest news but might give an idea of the problem.
    Had a look at that. My only observation is - and it is not the RNLI's fault - why is it on a government website about overseas development. The RNLI is independant and (should) not be acting in coordination with the Overseas Aid department of government; if it is acting independent of government, why are the government writing about it as if to take credit for it. Happy to accept I have misunderstood the situation but little surprised at it.

Jumbleduck, insisting women cover up is male oppression is it not ?
    And women choosing to cover up is freedom, is it not?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

You can dress it up all you want as overseas help or racism, the fact is people who donate to lifeboats do not expect THEIR funds to go on an overseas aid project way outside the scope one would expect when signing a debit or putting a few quid in.
    How do you know?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

I know Jumbleduck slightly from tv and e-mails and admire him and his taste in boats enormously, but I have to say in a kindly way I think his altruistic thinking is awry on this one ...
    As I wrote, I think it is quite OK to think that the RNLI should not spend money abroad. I just think that objecting to them spending money on Muslims is a bit ... iffy.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast