Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

Quote Originally Posted by wrr View Post
    Some years ago, a boat owner, with much more money than social responsibility, demanded to know what he would get if he joined the RNLI as an offshore member. My reply was that when 5 or 6 men and women put their lives on the line to rescue him, he might get the ability to look them in the eye. It seems that 20 or so years on, this still applies.
    The whole business of "joining the RNLI" is a bit of a marketing wheeze. It's basically getting your ego stroked (at a cost to the RNLI) in return for a donation.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by wrr View Post
    Some years ago, a boat owner, with much more money than social responsibility, demanded to know what he would get if he joined the RNLI as an offshore member. My reply was that when 5 or 6 men and women put their lives on the line to rescue him, he might get the ability to look them in the eye. It seems that 20 or so years on, this still applies.
    https://rnli.org/support-us/become-a-member

Which of the four membership options allow you to look rescuers in the eye?

...and why? Do they really care less about people who give money unconditionally rather than those who get "benefits" in exchange?

...and my kids are Storm Force Members. What if they are rescued by an independent? Can they look their rescuers in the eye then?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-1 View Post
    https://rnli.org/support-us/become-a-member

Which of the four membership options allow you to look rescuers in the eye?

...and why? Do they really care less about people who give money unconditionally rather than those who get "benefits" in exchange?
    Two years ago Campbeltown lifeboats (both of them) broke off an exercise to help with my young crew's beloved dinghy, which had swamped and sunk behind us in the Sound of Sanda. At no point did they ask to see membership cards.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Two years ago Campbeltown lifeboats (both of them) broke off an exercise to help with my young crew's beloved dinghy, which had swamped and sunk behind us in the Sound of Sanda. At no point did they ask to see membership cards.
    Even the AA allows you to join at point of breakdown (as happened to me a few years ago). Probably before rescue, though...

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Seems like RNLI Lifeboats are now being used as Border Control vessels, not what all the old dears expected from their legacies.
    Seems like you are mistaken-
    From google:

Image result for HMC Nimrod
    DescriptionHMC Nimrod is a Border Force coastal patrol vessel of the United Kingdom, formerly Euan, an Autonomous Rescue and Recovery Craft operated by BP. She was originally built by Holyhead Marine, Stockport and was operated by BP as a rescue boat aboard larger offshore support vessels. Wikipedia
    Length: 18 m
    Construction started: 5 May 2005

Or do you think lifeboat crews should demand to see valid passports before rescueing anybody?
    Last edited by NorthUp; 11-09-19 at 20:53.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The whole business of "joining the RNLI" is a bit of a marketing wheeze. It's basically getting your ego stroked (at a cost to the RNLI) in return for a donation.
    Agreed, also (from experience) the actual lifeboat crews themselves don't consider anyone's 'membership', it doesn't cross their minds.
    I've been on boats which have been towed in by the RNLI, as decided by HMCG after pan-pans, and they just want to help anyone who needs it.
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by NorthUp View Post
    Or do you think lifeboat crews should demand to see valid passports before rescueing anybody?
    As well as Armchair Lifeboatman (Master and Commander level) "membership" cards?

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Seems like RNLI Lifeboats are now being used as Border Control vessels, not what all the old dears expected from their legacies.
    From google:

DescriptionHMC Nimrod is a Border Force coastal patrol vessel of the United Kingdom, formerly Euan, an Autonomous Rescue and Recovery Craft operated by BP. She was originally built by Holyhead Marine, Stockport and was operated by BP as a rescue boat aboard larger offshore support vessels. Wikipedia
    I'm afraid that I can't see the relevance of your Google search?

Richard

From google:

Why do the ones on TV have RNLI on them then?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Agreed, also (from experience) the actual lifeboat crews themselves don't consider anyone's 'membership', it doesn't cross their minds.
    I've been on boats which have been towed in by the RNLI, as decided by HMCG after pan-pans, and they just want to help anyone who needs it.
    "boats"?

The occasional hiccup I can understand, but you should be renamed Jonah.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast