Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

RNLI funding burkinis for Africans while cutting jobs

Obviously I want my donations to go towards buying full covering swin suits for women who follow the rules of a god club... not.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I think this policy has the potential to if not sink the RNLI, severely dent its image and income, probably forever; this is not what British donors expect their money to go on ...
    True, but how much of their money do they expect to go on tows for leisure sailors who can't be bothered to do engine maintenance?
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    True, but how much of their money do they expect to go on tows for leisure sailors who can't be bothered to do engine maintenance?
    Most of the cost is for them to be there. The additional cost of them doing something is probably small?

Reducing drowning deaths worldwide strikes me as laudable. Enabling women, who otherwise would not have the opportunity, to learn to swim by providing culturally acceptable swimwear also seems laudable. Unfortunately, the headlines that programme has generated in our press tend to prey on xenophobic tendencies and bring out similar responses from some forum contributors.

awol,

it's very simple; the people who donate towards the RNLI do not expect idiotic virtue signalling like this and getting into international politics.

I know three people who are going to remove the RNLI from their wills because of this, and the news is less than a day old...
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

I'm with AWOL on this.

All their overseas projects add up to £3.3m out of a £150m budget. I can't be bothered to look up the details, but I'll bet the burkinis are a tiny fraction of that £3.3m.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

But it is not their job to meddle in overseas politics and religion.

If it's so OK, let's see the RNLI announce this clearly in all their material inc pubs and chugging collection boxes and see how well it goes down...

And Jumbleduck, saving by towing yotties - and fishermen and mobo drivers - with engine breakdowns is exactly what most people expect them to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    And Jumbleduck, saving by towing yotties - and fishermen and mobo drivers - with engine breakdowns is exactly what most people expect them to be doing.
    Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I'm with AWOL on this.

All their overseas projects add up to £3.3m out of a £150m budget. I can't be bothered to look up the details, but I'll bet the burkinis are a tiny fraction of that £3.3m.
    Most of the £3.3M will have been spent on consultations, foreign travel, desk jobs and advertising.
    The actual cost of the goods probably is a tiny fraction.
    Overseas projects cost millions before anything actually happens.
    But £3.3M would keep a fair number of UK staff employed. The question is are the staff they are getting rid of adding value to the organisation?

They do that all the time for fishing boats who despite total reliance on engines are often surprisingly poorly maintained - a great many yotties, sail or power,attend engine maintenence courses, I was on a boat whose owner did this, and had his ( newish ) engine overhauled by a pro engineer over winter - the pro introduced a snag with the exhaust cooling, luckily there was enough wind to sail so we just missed our tide.

Drifting with tide onto rocks in a calm deserves a lifeboat, IMO - I don't know about the new clueless Coastguard but in the good old days if someone broke down and not in danger but in need of a tow Solent Coastguard would point them to Seastart or yards with tow boats.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast