Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

Quote Originally Posted by scotty123 View Post
    Particularly those with sails they don't know/want to use.
    Getting into the nearest safe haven is one thing, getting a tow when inconvenienced & perhaps missing your train back to Town, is another & IMO charged for.
    Is it charged for even if the local lifeboat crew want to do it as a training exercise? That's happened to me, I asked specifically for a commercial tow, not being in danger, but the lifeboat jumped at the chance. I didn't even want their big lifeboat alongside, the flared bows almost smashed my rails, and it was a huge, uncalled-for, extravaganza.
    One of the RNLI deckhands was a cruising instructor and he was actually apologetic..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

If anchor doesn't stop drift in a calm, resort to fenders.
    Fenders to protect you from jagged rocks in a tideway?
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Is it charged for even if the local lifeboat crew want to do it as a training exercise? That's happened to me, I asked specifically for a commercial tow, not being in danger, but the lifeboat jumped at the chance. I didn't even want their big lifeboat alongside, the flared bows almost smashed my rails, and it was a huge, uncalled-for, extravaganza.
    One of the RNLI deckhands was a cruising instructor and he was actually apologetic..
    You "asked for a tow", so are you going to complain about who turns up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    Fenders to protect you from jagged rocks in a tideway?
    That was my thought, I'd try them and spi pole or anything if on rocks but wouldn't fancy my chances - the dinghy would already be inflated as I'd try that with its outboard alongside as Plan B if no wind and too steep to for anchoring.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

You "asked for a tow", so are you going to complain about who turns up?
    Yes, because I didn't want a lifeboat.
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    The newspaper article chose to use emotive terms instead of “swimwear”, just to provoke a reaction from a certain audience.
    Burkini is not an emotive term, it is a noun which describes a particular type of costume. Whilst it might come under the general term 'swimwear', it would be misleading in the circumstances to simply describe what is being bought as 'swimwear'.

It is not designed for swimming, it is designed to completely cover a woman when she is swimming. Its primary design feature is to cover all - which impedes swimming - but is the least that can be worn in order to swim.

You seem to have a Skandi influence - don't tell the public the raw truth so that no one can have a basis for disagreeing with the 'accepted' position.

Maybe to mislead by using 'swimwear' is what you want? That way nobody would know that it is being bought for an exclusive group: female muslims of Tanzania. Maybe then you would not have your sensitivities challenged (but you overlook it, don't you?) by the societal requirement for women to wear such garb - it is amazing that you support it rather than rail against muslim male oppression that forces women to wear this. You oppressor of females you !

As 90 per cent of Bangladesh is muslim, the RNLI's overseas aid seems to be exclusively or almost exclusively benefitting muslims. Of all the possibilities in the world to help stop people drowning, how did those two choices come to be made, and in combination?

The direct beneficiaries are women and children. No man is a seemingly a direct beneficiary of the RNLI's overseas aid.

If I was thinking about how I could best use the RNLI's overseas budget, I would research how/where most people drown and assist with some control measures; that doesn't appear to have been the starting point for this exercise.

Indeed, and I wonder if supplying these Burkinis might annoy the oppressive male locals - if they don't want their women to show any skin - or learn to read, drive, swim etc - might they not be miffed by white non muslims facilitating a bit of freedom - and even endanger the RNLI rep's ?

Genuine question, as this strikes me as meddling way outside the RNLI's remit at every level.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Poecheng View Post
    It is not designed for swimming, it is designed to completely cover a woman when she is swimming. Its primary design feature is to cover all - which impedes swimming - but is the least that can be worn in order to swim.
    It is designed for swimming in exactly the same way - and with almost exactly the same result - as UV-protective costumes for children are designed. The only difference is that includes head covering, and many swimmers - children and adult - wear swimming caps.

The only conceivable reason for being snooty about burkinis is anti-Muslim prejudice. I trust that those mocking others for modesty swim only in the nude, because if they wear even the tiniest speedos they are hypocrites quibbling only about matters of degree.

Doubting whether the RNLi should provide any services outside the British Isles is perfectly fine; arguing that they shouldn't provide services to Muslims is bigotry.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Indeed, and I wonder if supplying these Burkinis might annoy the oppressive male locals - if they don't want their women to show any skin - or learn to read, drive, swim etc - might they not be miffed by white non muslims facilitating a bit of freedom - and even endanger the RNLI rep's ?

Genuine question, as this strikes me as meddling way outside the RNLI's remit at every level.
    Young adult (15 - 24) literacy rates in Bangladesh are 93% for women and 90% for men. The evidence does not support a claim of general hostility to women's literacy there.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Young adult (15 - 24) literacy rates in Bangladesh are 93% for women and 90% for men. The evidence does not support a claim of general hostility to women's literacy there.
    How does that compare with Bradford?

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast