Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: RNLI

Default Re: RNLI

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I don't know about the new clueless Coastguard but in the good old days if someone broke down and not in danger but in need of a tow Solent Coastguard would point them to Seastart or yards with tow boats.
    Which they still do in the first instance.
    Gosport NCI - Call us on Ch 65 for a radio check if passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poecheng View Post

The direct beneficiaries are women and children. No man is a seemingly a direct beneficiary of the RNLI's overseas aid.

If I was thinking about how I could best use the RNLI's overseas budget, I would research how/where most people drown and assist with some control measures; that doesn't appear to have been the starting point for this exercise.
    Perhaps if you took the bother to perform even a modicum of research - googling "RNLI Tanzania" for example - you would find that the RNLI are aiming at the huge numbers of drownings and are not at all gender specific in their programmes.

So have the RNLI taken it upon themselves to dish out Foreign Aid or are they being subsidised bt Tanzanian or UK Govt, as this is way beyond what the people who gave them this money intended them to do with it - which is the crux of the matter.

Jumbleduck, insisting women cover up is male oppression is it not ?

How do they get on for driving and jobs then, if so well read, which I'm afraid I rather doubt.

Anyway the point is nobody expected the RNLI to do this with their money, it is not what they intended or I'm bloody sure would wish.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Try reading https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...wning-epidemic - absolutely NOT the latest news but might give an idea of the problem.

One gets back to wondering why relatively well off African Countries need help in this?

Quote Originally Posted by DownWest View Post
    One gets back to wondering why relatively well off African Countries need help in this?
    Relative to whom?
    From https://assets.publishing.service.go...-July-2018.pdf
    25 million Tanzanians still live on less than $1.90a day. 800,000 young Tanzanians enter the job market every year with few job opportunities. While most children go to school and the quality of education is improving, education outcomes in Tanzania remain very poor: only 7% of students reach the international benchmark in reading

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Relative to whom?
    That is depressing, but typical of missmanaged countries in Africa. I had thought it was better in Tanzania.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Anyway the point is nobody expected the RNLI to do this with their money, it is not what they intended or I'm bloody sure would wish.
    Are you a member of RNLI? If so you might have read about their overseas programmes, and the reasons why.
    Not sure why you can say “nobody expected the RNLI to do this”, as you certainly don’t speak for me, or the thousands of other members who read the articles and didn’t write to object.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    Bet you a fiver (to the RNLI) that it isn't. Most people expect them to be saving brave sailors and cowering passengers from the wrath of the ocean, not dropping everything on a nice day to tow in somebody without the wits to check their engine oil.
    Which of course is why (and I know I've said it before ) The strapline is "The charity that saves lives at sea" not "A free towing service for the mechanically challenged middle classes".

I WAS a ' member ' as in donator, but became disenchanted when I heard of teams of lawyers chasing old widows' wills.

The thousands who didn't object seems to me thousands more of posters and bumph sent but not read, I am pretty sure not advertising this diversement of funds which people simply did not commit to.

You can dress it up all you want as overseas help or racism, the fact is people who donate to lifeboats do not expect THEIR funds to go on an overseas aid project way outside the scope one would expect when signing a debit or putting a few quid in.

It is entirely inappropriate and should be a Govenrment thing - if they wish to enlist the RNLI as a sort of 2nd -rd rate United Nations then they should advertise they are doing so.

I also wonder about the safety of the actual staff / representatives doing this as I said earlier.

Is the next step plonking a big gun on the front of lifeboats and defending our tankers in the Staits Of Hormuz ?

That ' might save lives ' too.
    Last edited by Seajet; 15-09-19 at 20:04.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast