Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potty talk...

Default Re: Potty talk...

Quote Originally Posted by ross84 View Post
    Our local marina is full of swimmers, kids kayaking, etc, and is closed, so would agree with Ohlin. One idea maybe is to have a portapotty and keep it aft or where ever a convenient space could be found.
    That's what we have in Spain in case we're inspected. It's never been used and is still in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by colind3782 View Post
    That's what we have in Spain in case we're inspected. It's never been used and is still in the box!
    Not a liveaboard but simply cruiser rocking up in numerous places. My portapotty was kept in the heads but never used, we almost always went ashore to go to pub, café or harbour master depending on time of day, and on the rare occasions we didn't in morning but were in a marina or small harbour we simply didn't flush the sea toilet until back out at sea. Portapotty now in shed.
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 12-09-19 at 13:30.
    A boat is for going places

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    Not a liveaboard but simply cruiser rocking up in numerous places. My portapotty was kept in the heads but never used, we almost always went ashore to go to pub, café or harbour master depending on time of day, and on the rare occasions we didn't in morning but were in a marina or small harbour we simply didn't flush the sea toilet until back out at sea. Portapotty now in shed.
    I use mine to coil my kedge warp, so the space is not wasted..
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Holding tanks are great if you are sure you will be sailing again within a week, so we almost never use the marina loos except at the end of a sailing trip and even then just for pooing.

I'd be looking at an airhead or similar composting toilet for liveaboard use on a yacht. We currently get a couple of months out of the huge black tank on our narrowboat but the tank is *enormous*, to the point where we have adjustable ballast to compensate. There is no way anything similar would work on a reasonably sized yacht.

We use a 'natural' black tank on the narrowboat, rather than gallons of formaldehyde we use septic tank bacteria kits. When it goes wrong and you kill the tank there's quite a flush pong though, so we also have a large refillable carbon filter from big orange - the single use ones are an insane rip off. I would go compost on that too, if I were fitting out.
    Last edited by ryanroberts; 14-09-19 at 07:29.

Over on the East coast of the States, dumping in the water is mostley illegal, with draconian fines. There is a lot of discussion on the WBF about composting toilets, as Ryan mentioned. Including DIY ones that work fine. Usually, pee is seperated out by the shape of the bowl and emptied every few days, mixed with a bit of sugar.
    The poo is helped by a bit of sawdust, or hampster litter, and emptied every month or two. Users say that there is no odour, because it is dry without the pee. Grows nice Petunias too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12