Default Our yatch racing would've been a flop!

Hey there,

We're in a PHRF fleet and last week this happened" and we lost the lifelines on the port side.
    Repairs may not be complete by racing tonight. I looked at the rules and it seems you only need lifelines if your class requires them, but being a classic-plastic racer-cruiser there is no one-design class rule.
    Given that it's in-shore the OSR rules don't apply... so are we legal to race with only the starboard side lifelines on the boat?

Default Re: Our yatch racing would've been a flop!

What do the SIs and NoR say?
    Ours require a certain level of compliance with OSR, even for pottering around the cans, to avoid encouraging yachts to dump excess weighty items.
    If your boat is in a different state from that which its rating is based on, the rating may be invalid.
    What's the weather like where you are?
    Can you cobble together some 'good enough' lifelines?

Go out and race. You'll soon be told if you're not "in class"

Quote Originally Posted by clamy99 View Post
    Hey there,

We're in a PHRF fleet and last week this happened" and we lost the lifelines on the port side.
    Repairs may not be complete by racing tonight. I looked at the rules and it seems you only need lifelines if your class requires them, but being a classic-plastic racer-cruiser there is no one-design class rule.
    Given that it's in-shore the OSR rules don't apply... so are we legal to race with only the starboard side lifelines on the boat?
    What do the NOR and SIs state? Given you're racing PHRF, I'm assuming you're in America. On this side of the pond all yacht racing I have been involved in references OSR cat 4, which has things to say about lifelines. I'd be amazed if US racing, in the land of the lawyer, didn't do similar.
    You never know, I might be right!

Our Wednesday evening racing is restriction free, but if it's cancelled through strong wind, the alternative and optional 'Seamanship Series' requires ISAF Cat 4, which includes lifelines. And that's the perfect excuse for those of us who don't have any.