Default "Age is just a number" .......

........says Jean Socrates, who has just completed a non-stop single-handed voyage around the world.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49628116

This after breaking her neck and ribs two years ago.

Well done, Jean. You are a inspiration.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Default Re: "Age is just a number" .......

You know, I'm not sure her preparation was up to scratch this time, as evidenced perhaps by her tired old sails.

That she still made it; unbelievable!

An absolute credit to herself, the sailing community, and everyone with dreams

I heard her interview this morning. What a champ she is. Inspiration indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    You know, I'm not sure her preparation was up to scratch this time, as evidenced perhaps by her tired old sails.

That she still made it; unbelievable!

An absolute credit to herself, the sailing community, and everyone with dreams
    Agrred, she is a credit to herself, but why is she a credit to the rest?
    Inspiration without doubt, but the vast majority may as well be looking at space travel & will never stray further than their yachtclub bar.

I watched a TV programme recently, Saving Lives At Sea, where a couple had to be rescued in the Irish Sea after their steering failed. In the interview afterwards, the husband said that at 72 years he was obviously too old to go sailing so was selling the boat.
    Speak for yourself mate! I'm not ready to chuck it in anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I watched a TV programme recently, Saving Lives At Sea, where a couple had to be rescued in the Irish Sea after their steering failed. In the interview afterwards, the husband said that at 72 years he was obviously too old to go sailing so was selling the boat.
    He was probably just embarrassed at not being able to attach the tow rope he was thrown. (I watched it too!)

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tribe View Post
    I'm older than him now and just starting to find some jobs not as easy as when younger, such as yesterday, lifting 4 x 30kg batteries out of the boat into the dinghy, taking ashore and then the reverse with 4 x new ones. Called for a couple of beers while recovering

Regularly meet an 82 year old female solo liveaboard. Last time we met in the yard, she was scraping antifoul off her catamaran.