Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wifi when away from marina

This post is prompted mainly by my kids who would like to have wifi access when we are away from our home marina. They don't have their own mobile phones (although I do).

I have done a search on the forum for old threads but can't see anything that fits the bill or is written in non tech language.

Any suggestions on a workable solution for the UK?

Cheers
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Default Re: Wifi when away from marina

With my contract i can enable "Hotspot", thus providing access to others. I have a 12Gb data contract, & works coastal

The best solution which will work almost anywhere, and quite a distance offshore, is to set up your phone as a "hotspot" so every has wifi access to your phone and, from there, to the internet. This is is what we do except we use my tablet as the hotspot which has a data only sim.

The alternative is to buy a dedicated small "mifi router" into which you put a data sim and it broadcasts wifi to everyone.

Richard

Presumably they want to use tablets or laptops? If your 'phone is reasonably 'smart' and you have a pay monthly contract then you should be able to find a setting that turns it into a 'hotspot'. (It still works normally, but now shares its internet connection). In the process it will either suggest a password or you'll make one up. On the other devices it's then just a matter of searching for the signal from your 'phone in the wifi settings, electing to connect and entering the password.

That'll work well most of the time. If you're often in harbours that don't get a good 'phone signal you might then consider a 'MiFi' and hoisting it up the mast to increase its horizon view, and if it's a rainy day then a very long usb lead to a charger will be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The best solution which will work almost anywhere, and quite a distance offshore, is to set up your phone as a "hotspot" so every has wifi access to your phone and, from there, to the internet. This is is what we do except we use my tablet as the hotspot which has a data only sim.

The alternative is to buy a dedicated small "mifi router" into which you put a data sim and it broadcasts wifi to everyone.

Richard
    Bet you a fiver I started typing before you... And I got the bit in about charging. 2-1 to me.

I also use my phone as a mobile hotspot. I have a SIM contract with Three, unlimited everything for £25 a month (think it's less now). I hear Vodafone are also doing unlimited data, but no idea of cost.
    Rainbow Marine.
    www.rainbowmarine.co.uk

Thanks all. Yes kids have ipads.

I have an iPhone 6s - and yes I see there's a "personal hotspot" setting under "mobile data". Sounds too easy?!
    Last edited by philipm; 11-09-19 at 08:11.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    That'll work well most of the time. If you're often in harbours that don't get a good 'phone signal you might then consider a 'MiFi' and hoisting it up the mast to increase its horizon view, and if it's a rainy day then a very long usb lead to a charger will be needed.
    I have a Mifi with an external antenna, which although in the cabin next to it (I've never needed to hoist it) boosts the signal enormously, typically by three bars.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Bet you a fiver I started typing before you... And I got the bit in about charging. 2-1 to me.
    Except you ruined your post by mentioning "rain" which is entirely irrelevant in the context you used it.

Also, if you're going to hoist it up the mast, then buy a battery model.

Game, set and match.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks all. Yes kids have ipads.

I have an iPhone 6s - and yes I see there's a "personal hotspot" setting under "mobile data". Sounds too easy?!
    It is that simple.

At one time some devices did not connect to a personal hotspot and some signal providers did not like you setting them up but these days it all seems to be accepted.

Richard

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast