Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wifi when away from marina

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks all. Yes kids have ipads.

I have an iPhone 6s - and yes I see there's a "personal hotspot" setting under "mobile data". Sounds too easy?!
    It is easy but be careful. How many kids with iPads do you have and what do they do when online. If they use a lot of data it could get very expensive.

As others have suggested, a mobile phone hotspot is the easiest solution. The only drawbacks are everyone is using the credit on your Sim, your battery will run down significantly more quickly (so it is worth plugging the phone in), potentially a lot of data credit might be used, and the signal will only ever be as good as the ability of the phone to receive a service.

I use a Redbox with the Sim module. (Google). In this case you purchase a seperate sim which goes into this box which is connected to a 12V supply. Everyone in the same way can connect to that Sim. You have sophisticated control over how much data is used and when the data is available. Depending on the aerials you add you can significantly improve the performance over your phone. It also has the advanatage of providing yacht wide WiFi when in any harbour and you connect the box to a local hotspot. Everyone then has access to that hotspot. It comes at a price inevitably.

Finally in much the same way you could purchase any form of 3/4G router - this is very much like the Redbox I have described above whereby you put a sim into the box and it behaves much like your WiFi at home. This is less costly, and there are ones available with their own internal battery. Essentially the more you pay, the more sophisticated the features.

In the same way a dongle with a 3/4G sim would do the same job, but is specific to whatever computer the dongle is plugged into.

Of all of these the Redbox or a 3/4G external aerial will provide the very best and most consistent signal. I can usually get a signal anywhere in the Channel for example up to about 30 miles or more off shore, although there are odd patches without a signal. The signal is as ever dependent on which provider you use. I was told that the frequency of O2 is such that it probably gives the best theoretical range - but I dont know if this is true.

There are incidentally some Sims that will "find" any available network, so avoid dead spots, but now we are possibly getting into too much detail for "just" the kids needs.

PS - as to hotspots on an iPhone etc, just to add sometimes you may need to switch the hotspot on / off or even switch off the phone if the hotspot isnt available. This is rarely the case but does seem to happen. The user (kid) also needs the password shown on the 'phone hotspot link, but this only requires to be entered one time. Obvioulsy putting the phone on deck may improve the signal in poor areas.
    Last edited by ip485; 11-09-19 at 08:55.

Quote Originally Posted by philipm View Post
    Thanks all. Yes kids have ipads.

I have an iPhone 6s - and yes I see there's a "personal hotspot" setting under "mobile data". Sounds too easy?!
    It is that easy although I'd definitely echo the sentiments about unlimited data, most of the big brands are jumping on the unlimited data deals(I've just signed up for the vodafone one with the entertainment deals) which i would recommend as two kids on tinternet will kill data in minutes not hours.

I agree, unlimited data with kids is the way to go. I understand there are usually some fair use conditions on these, but the extent to which these are enforced, what they really mean etc has left me wondering, and I havent personally had an issue as a pretty high data user - of course when you start to stream games and TV for hours on end (smile, wink), and on occasion I have noticed what may be a little throttling back of the speed, but I equally could be imagining it.

My kids use their ipads for online gaming but regardless I get your point about data allowance. I am about to switch phone contracts anyway this month so will bear that in mind.

Big thanks for all the replies.
    Jeanneau Leader 9

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.

We use the iPhone as a hotspot through the summer in Greece. With a 30gb per month data contract, that just about covers the two us us using iPads to use the internet. I’d imagine kids with live gaming on iPads will chew through the data faster than us, so look for more data in the contract.
    As to exceeding data allowances and it getting costly, most providers these days will prompt you when you hit 80% of your data allowance and will simply shut down the data connection when you’ve exhausted your data. You will then be presented with the option of buying more data via an online top up if you want: not like the old days where you’d get an eye watering bill later....

Quote Originally Posted by alex_m24 View Post
    It is that easy although I'd definitely echo the sentiments about unlimited data, most of the big brands are jumping on the unlimited data deals(I've just signed up for the vodafone one with the entertainment deals) which i would recommend as two kids on tinternet will kill data in minutes not hours.
    Yup, my partners nieces (both mid teens) burnt a gigabyte each in a day before being banned from using the boats wifi
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

3 offer unlimited data only sims for around £25 a month. Coverage isn't as good as EE but I only really have problems with an external antenna and 4G modem when the boat is in built up areas. I regularly get better than ADSL speeds out in the sticks, and use it for work.

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

I know someone with a “waterproof” phone (ip67) who gets unlimited data from Three for £20 pm.

Special offer here at £10 but I haven’t read the details

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

If the signal is weak he hoists the phone up the mast in a bucket.

He didn’t mention battery life but carries power banks with him, as do I.

Two sons

Sorry, didn’t see Ryan’s post

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Except you ruined your post by mentioning "rain" which is entirely irrelevant in the context you used it.

Also, if you're going to hoist it up the mast, then buy a battery model.

Game, set and match.

Richard
    Not so fast matey.

'Rain' is far from irrelevant. Teenagers do not leave boats in the rain. As any fule do no. Thus the data consumption rises exponentially, as does battery life. I know, I had two teenagers, a battery model mifi and a boat in Bucklers Hard on a wet day.

40:15

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast