Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Wifi when away from marina

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Not so fast matey.

'Rain' is far from irrelevant. Teenagers do not leave boats in the rain. As any fule do no. Thus the data consumption rises exponentially, as does battery life. I know, I had two teenagers, a battery model mifi and a boat in Bucklers Hard on a wet day.

40:15
    Errrr .... teenagers do not put down their phones whatever the weather. We used to have 1GB per day on the boat and it was all gone by lunchtime, rain or shine.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Errrr .... teenagers do not put down their phones whatever the weather. We used to have 1GB per day on the boat and it was all gone by lunchtime, rain or shine.

Richard
    You've just reminded me of a serious point.

Teenagers are nothing compared to Windows update. 3Gb gone in hours. That cost me a fortune - make sure that no software can update.
    Last edited by anoccasionalyachtsman; 11-09-19 at 20:16.

Agreed.
    Turn off all auto updates in the settings menu. Apple seem to be worse in this regard since they refuse to work if you get halfway through an update then lose WiFi, rendering the device U/S

Not so fast matey.
    Th
    'Rain' is far from irrelevant. Teenagers do not leave boats in the rain. As any fule do no. Thus the data consumption rises exponentially, as does battery life. I know, I had two teenagers, a battery model mifi and a boat in Bucklers Hard on a wet day.

40:15
    I think you’ll find that it’s very important to Richard that he is allowed to believe he has the last word or has (in his mind) ‘won’ any discussion. I try not to make any personal comments about forumites but this is becoming a very interesting phenomena.
    Semper aliud

Quote Originally Posted by john_morris_uk View Post
    I think you’ll find that it’s very important to Richard that he is allowed to believe he has the last word or has (in his mind) ‘won’ any discussion. I try not to make any personal comments about forumites but this is becoming a very interesting phenomena.
    This is not the place to try and settle Lounge scores, John. I suspect that your post would qualify you for "Infraction Points" if I could be bothered to report it.

Richard

Good grief, I really did win - I can hardly believe that I sneaked it past both of you, but the 'I know' in the paragraph which jm_uk quotes from #20 was in there for a very good reason....

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    This is not the place to try and settle Lounge scores, John. I suspect that your post would qualify you for "Infraction Points" if I could be bothered to report it.

Richard
    No scores to settle. It's your perception of yourself and how you really believe you trump other people's arguments that is the really interesting factor.

If you think it's a personal attack worthy of the name, I'll report it to the other moderators. Its an unwritten rule that we never get involved in the moderation of threads that we have contributed to so they can recommend/dicuss with FAT whatever action they think appropriate.
    Semper aliud

We work from the boat and rely on 3G/4G a lot of the time. The problem tends to be coverage with the signal strength being too low for serious work in many places. I never sign contracts for more than one month - we need to be able to move between providers at short notice. In the last twelve months, we have had contract SIMs from Vodafone, Three and EE. We are currently on EE, but will probably cancel that next month and sign up again with Vodafone which currently seems to offer the best coverage in the area we expect to be in over the winter.

I use 12 month sims from EE third party sellers in a Huawei mobile mi-fi device.
    These sims are not available from EE directly but are preloaded with data and 12 months validity. Check Amazon for suppliers - EBS Telecom are the one I used.
    I think you can get 25GB usable in any way over 12 months (c45-50) or 6GB limited to 500MB/month for 12 months (18)
    EU 4G roaming is included.
    It is cheaper to throw the sims away after a year as the PAYG subsequent top-up charges are pretty steep.

Good grief, I really did win - I can hardly believe that I sneaked it past both of you, but the 'I know' in the paragraph which jm_uk quotes from #20 was in there for a very good reason....
    Indeed so. There was never anything to win or lose, other than in John's mind.

Richard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast