Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 58 of 58
  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    14,371

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    The original Westerly Centaur was sold at around £1,600. What is the average price that a Centaur sells at these days?
    Depreciation? I had a 1976 Centaur (CR1279) for fourteen years and I sold it for more than I had bought it. Yes, I did spend money on that boat but then I did enjoy sailing it for fourteen years.
    Should we paint what is on a face, what is inside it, or what is behind it?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    36,312

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    The original Westerly Centaur was sold at around £1,600. What is the average price that a Centaur sells at these days?
    Depreciation? I had a 1976 Centaur (CR1279) for fourteen years and I sold it for more than I had bought it. Yes, I did spend money on that boat but then I did enjoy sailing it for fourteen years.
    Was it only £1600 at introduction? I bought a new Centaur (CR1487) in 76, no idea what it cost but I sold it in 77 for £9800.

    Edit: According to this 1968 Westerly price list, a Centaur at introduction was well over £3000 if you wanted an engine in it - https://wiki.westerly-owners.co.uk/i...elist_1968.pdf
    Last edited by pvb; 16-09-19 at 20:23.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,564

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Your marina fees sound cheap enough to be interesting!

    We're in the menai straits. A swinging mooring from CHT is about £1k, inlcuding harbour fees. Haul out for the winter, cradle rental and hardstanding and a relaunch are about another £1k, and Insurance and maintenance ... thats another £1k, or will be when I have finished putting the boat right from how we bought it.

    I've not seen marina fees with winter haulout come in under 3k anywhere ... I'd be interested to know where you can get that for your £2k budget.
    Your area .....Port Dinorwic mooring deal using sub let CHT mooring was a fixed £1500 per annum for any size of boat including winter storage, on shore or in dock and a water taxi service in normal lock operating hours. If you stay in dock over winter all marine growth falls off and a bit of a scrub might mean you only have to antifoul every two years. We have not fully recoated since buying the boat in 2013! But are Inner dock based at a cost of £2700pa for 9m. Includes winter lift out and hard storage if required. No insurance surcharge if in water over winter in dock.
    Now Sailing Bluenote II Hanse 301 based Y Felinheli Dock.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    369

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Costs last year

    Club membership, pontoon, haul out, winter storage £800
    Insurance £ 250
    Professional marine engineer for jobs I can not do well £500

    Buying new toys on eBay ( sails, anchor, windlass, ect,ect) £1000+

  5. #55
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eastern Atlantic seaboard
    Posts
    3,166

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Your marina fees sound cheap enough to be interesting!

    We're in the menai straits. A swinging mooring from CHT is about £1k, inlcuding harbour fees. Haul out for the winter, cradle rental and hardstanding and a relaunch are about another £1k, and Insurance and maintenance ... thats another £1k, or will be when I have finished putting the boat right from how we bought it.

    I've not seen marina fees with winter haulout come in under 3k anywhere ... I'd be interested to know where you can get that for your £2k budget.
    36' on an un-serviced finger pontoon, free lifts and a month's storage ashore for maintenance during June to August, Passesport Escale giving free berthing in 150 European marinas including Southern UK, France and Spain, free electric bike loan: £1280 PA.
    The summer haul out suits me as marinas are crazy busy in August and antifouling wearing shorts and a T shirt beats lying in freezing water next to the keel. Plus, with a dozen or so free marinas within 20 miles winter sailing is quite pleasant - 4 hour jaunts in relatively sheltered waters with heating at either end.
    http://www.port-arzal-camoel.com/
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bewdley, Worcs
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by TSB240 View Post
    Your area .....Port Dinorwic mooring deal using sub let CHT mooring was a fixed £1500 per annum for any size of boat including winter storage, on shore or in dock and a water taxi service in normal lock operating hours. If you stay in dock over winter all marine growth falls off and a bit of a scrub might mean you only have to antifoul every two years. We have not fully recoated since buying the boat in 2013! But are Inner dock based at a cost of £2700pa for 9m. Includes winter lift out and hard storage if required. No insurance surcharge if in water over winter in dock.
    I did enquire a few times about the marina service, but they were full when I wanted a mooring. I've asked a few times since and *in theory* are on their waiting list, but I suspect they don't have one and have lost my number ...

    The CHT mooring plus a haulout at Dinas is fine, I may look at the marina again when we don't need such an extended haulout for all the work we have to complete.

    You should see our boat on the outer moorings, just opposite the dinghy club, "Encyte" ..

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Bewdley, Worcs
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    36' on an un-serviced finger pontoon, free lifts and a month's storage ashore for maintenance during June to August, Passesport Escale giving free berthing in 150 European marinas including Southern UK, France and Spain, free electric bike loan: £1280 PA.
    The summer haul out suits me as marinas are crazy busy in August and antifouling wearing shorts and a T shirt beats lying in freezing water next to the keel. Plus, with a dozen or so free marinas within 20 miles winter sailing is quite pleasant - 4 hour jaunts in relatively sheltered waters with heating at either end.
    http://www.port-arzal-camoel.com/
    Ah France, a bit of a long drive from the Midlands for a weekend away though. Also, will be more problematic from next year, as if I moved my boat there, I would have to pay VAT again.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    754

    Default Re: Yacht Running COSTS ?

    Thanks for all your replies - very interesting and of course quite a lot of variations as we all want something different in our Sailing -----that is why it is such a great hobby,,
    Chris G

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to