Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stowe Electronics - why are replacement parts so expensive??

Hi guys - so I had to get this off my chest! I have been restoring my Stowe masthead wind indicator/sensor. I have had to speak to Stowe several times, and whilst they have been reasonably helpful, their spare parts are always so incredibly expensive! I have actually ended up making several parts myself, after quotes for spare parts being astronomical, and today was the final straw.

I called up as one of the stems leading to a cup on the sensor has a small nick out of it, and I would like to get a set of replacement cups....the lady first asked "do you still have the ferrule and nut from the end, as we would have to sell those bits to you separately"!! I said I have them, and she responded with "oh good - that makes it cheaper! She then went on to quote me £43 for the replacement cups, and £16 for the postage!...unless I can wait until someone can "go down to the postbox, but we dont every day" and then the postage would only be £8!

So a set of replacement plastic cups, for an aged wind sensor, would cost me £60!! .....it's almost like they are trying to push you towards scraping it and buying a whole new one!

Their pricing is disgusting! - the NASA cups are £13 for a replacement set, and even Raymarine charge less than the cups only from Stowe...and thats for the whole kit - cups and wind vane!!

I imagine that Stowe probably have a stock of old cups sitting around from servicing existing units...but they are not the sort of company to help out someone on a budget, it seems. Crazy really, as one day I might just be able to afford one of their wildly expensive units...though I would take my business elsewhere now!

Has anyone else found that there are still companies like this around in the marine world? Most companies I have had dealings with up until now have been most helpful, and tried to find a solution that won't break the bank, up until now!

Cheers!

Default Re: Stowe Electronics - why are replacement parts so expensive??

New Carbon Fibre Solid State Wind Transducer

Seven versions available:

1.Stowe Dataline or Dataline X, Simrad IS11 or Stowe Navigator Wind Monitor

2. Stowe Micro range

3. Autohelm ST50*

4. NMEA 0183, can be used on Simrad IS15, Cetrek, Global, KVH, Danaplus and many more

5. Navico WD200 100% compatible plug on replacement

6. VDO compatible*

7. B&G Brookes and Gatehouse compatible*

The brand new design Stowe Mast head unit has been modernised using solid state technology, reducing moving parts, greatly increasing reliability, accuracy and smoothness. The rugged mechanical design has been proven for many years and now brand new electronics gives a truly high performance. The unit can be supplied in five versions compatible with not only Stowe, but a large number of other manufactures wind instruments including Autohelm, B&G, Cetrek, Danaplus, Dataline, Global, KVH, Navico, Raymarine, Simrad and VDO. A combination of a new carbon fibre spar and the change to solid state electronics dramatically reduces the weight, the service life and servicing costs.
    So there!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Do Stowe exist now I thought they disappeared long ago and their spares were bought up by some company or other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr J Hackett View Post
    Do Stowe exist now I thought they disappeared long ago and their spares were bought up by some company or other.
    https://www.stowemarine.com/products.htm
    Their price list is still Jan 2017
    Last edited by LadyInBed; 11-09-19 at 15:25.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

I am sure I read somewhere that someone had the same problem! He bought 3 sets of measuring cups that are used in baking, fettled to fit and hot glued to fit! Said the repair worked, how long they lasted is another question!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    So there!
    But, the OP, quoted prices, You only posted a fact sheet ?
    How expensive, were the parts you posted ?

They have a very small percentage of market share so cannot gain any cost saving with high volumes.

They lost me as a customer this summer.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Has anyone else found that there are still companies like this around in the marine world?

Yanmar wanted £12 or so for a simple plastic cap to cover the ignition switch when not in use. I found a plastic bottle top (free) fitted quite well although not so smart.

I would be interested to hear about any companies which do NOT behave like that, in the marine world
    "Now shall the gentleman haul and draw with the mariner"
    John Hawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Yanmar wanted £12 or so for a simple plastic cap to cover the ignition switch when not in use. I found a plastic bottle top (free) fitted quite well although not so smart.
    That sort of thing is the only message I can remember from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"...

Mike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast