Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Stowe Electronics - why are replacement parts so expensive??

Quote Originally Posted by STILL AFLOAT View Post
    But, the OP, quoted prices, You only posted a fact sheet ?
    How expensive, were the parts you posted ?
    See pdf under Information tab.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Ohlin Karcher View Post
    I would be interested to hear about any companies which do NOT behave like that, in the marine world
    NASA marine instruments do not behave like that. You may not like their products, but they are very ready with advice, will repair your kit for modest cost, or sell you reasonably priced spares.

Only today I bought from them a replacement LCD screen for a Clipper Duet speed/depth instrument head for £15. I didn't bother to ask what the p&p would be, as it was very reasonable the last time I had occasion to buy spares from them.

[QUOTE=suffolktim;6905540]Hi guys - so I had to get this off my chest! I have been restoring my Stowe masthead wind indicator/sensor. I have had to speak to Stowe several times, and whilst they have been reasonably helpful, their spare parts are always so incredibly expensive! I have actually ended up making several parts myself, after quotes for spare parts being astronomical, and today was the final straw.

I called up as one of the stems leading to a cup on the sensor has a small nick out of it, and I would like to get a set of replacement cups....the lady first asked "do you still have the ferrule and nut from the end, as we would have to sell those bits to you separately"!! I said I have them, and she responded with "oh good - that makes it cheaper! She then went on to quote me £43 for the replacement cups, and £16 for the postage!...unless I can wait until someone can "go down to the postbox, but we dont every day" and then the postage would only be £8!

So a set of replacement plastic cups, for an aged wind sensor, would cost me £60!! .....it's almost like they are trying to push you towards scraping it and buying a whole new one!

Their pricing is disgusting! - the NASA cups are £13 for a replacement set, and even Raymarine charge less than the cups only from Stowe...and thats for the whole kit - cups and wind vane!!

I imagine that Stowe probably have a stock of old cups sitting around from servicing existing units...but they are not the sort of company to help out someone on a budget, it seems. Crazy really, as one day I might just be able to afford one of their wildly expensive units...though I would take my business elsewhere now!

Has anyone else found that there are still companies like this around in the marine world? Most companies I have had dealings with up until now have been most helpful, and tried to find a solution that won't break the bank, up until now!

Cheers![/QUOTE

I have used their parent (sister?) company Tinley Marine Electronics several times and have nothing but praise for them.

Even though you gripe about the cost of anemometer cups, that is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying and installing a new wind system. Demand for old Stowe parts can't be very high so comparing replacement Stowe parts with mass-produced Raymarine bits is comparing apples and pears.

I wouldn't mind betting that the new Stowe cups will last longer than Raymarine ones too

I have Stowe instruments (depth, wind, Nav 1 & Nav 2). They are originals (over 30 years old) and still going strong. I have had to contact Tinley about replacement parts and would agree they appear very expensive. However they have a monopoly on these and thats how economics works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    They have a very small percentage of market share so cannot gain any cost saving with high volumes.

They lost me as a customer this summer.
    They lost me years ago. Nothing that I bought from them worked satisfactorily eg depth sounder showing 10metres when I could see the bottom a few feet below the keel.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Has anyone else found that there are still companies like this around in the marine world?

Yanmar wanted £12 or so for a simple plastic cap to cover the ignition switch when not in use. I found a plastic bottle top (free) fitted quite well although not so smart.
    I needed to change the starter motor on my Volvo 2002. A local mechanic thought he could get me one for about 500€ saying that Volvo charged around €800.

I looked on the net and got a perfectly satisfactory alternative in the UK for £65 incl VAT. It arrived within a couple of days and the total cost including shipping was around €90 iirc.

A few days later I was at the Volvo concession and asked out of interest how much their starter motor was. €1400 ...!!!

You should try the world of medical engineering for eye-watering prices. GE once charged us over £50 for a 2" by 2" sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by Stooriefit View Post
    I have Stowe instruments (depth, wind, Nav 1 & Nav 2). They are originals (over 30 years old) and still going strong. I have had to contact Tinley about replacement parts and would agree they appear very expensive. However they have a monopoly on these and thats how economics works.
    Agreed, at the time of their design, the Stowe kit was pretty good. Almost entirely Non NMEA, that kit now can't be integrated with anything new. If your whole boat is that vintage and you want to keep the boat, I think you are better off considering going for NMEA 2000 networked gear. It works without much fuss, less wiring and will mostly work with other manufacturers sensors.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    https://www.stowemarine.com/products.htm
    Their price list is still Jan 2017
    ....but they were already wildly expensive in 2017! They are a company that is expensive, has a limited range of products, and are very clearly pushing their "spares" up to the point where the customer is left weighing up just buying new. Unfortunately for them, other companies are streets ahead, and buying new would probably involve ditching Stowe - so they are shooting themselves in the foot

Quote Originally Posted by Stooriefit View Post
    ...you say that they have a monopoly...but thats the whole point...businesses are having to work a lot harder for their custom these days, and with other competatively priced products, with reasonably priced spares, they will eventually just disappear - as a lot of people reading this thread already thought they had!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast