Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Boat washing, needing more vaseline

Where I layup we have all been told under the new guidelines we are no longer able to power wash our antifoul after we come out. FHC have said they will wash the boats off over a collection area whilst held in the slings. The water will be collected and put into containers, also the solid matter disposed of separately. All will be track able to where and how its disposed of, yeah land fill and the local sewerage works I bet. This is so the antifoul and any invasive species are not washed back into the water. £45 to wash it ourselves up to £140 and no doubt will go up again.
    Vaseline required to assist the pineapple being shoved a little further.
    Next thing will be, no more antifouling your own boat.

Default Re: Boat washing, needing more vaseline

Normal practice in a lot of places now.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    Normal practice in a lot of places now.
    Has been required at the Marina Where we keep our boat for at least the last 10 years. The pressure washing water gets washed into a grill and it then goes into a sort of septic tank and is collected by tanker.

Would all be less irksome if the wildlife showed any signs of not liking the stuff when its on our hulls!

In New South Wales marinas/boat yards without facilities to collect said run off.......have closed.

Some marinas were demanding drop sheets under yachts being anti fouled.

Restrictions on owners conducting their own AF are common place, many simply do not allow the practice, but this is as a result of insurance and H&S. Maybe, of course, supporting local companies offering the same service. It does grate as AF could be conducted, with no disrespect, by monkeys but is charged at brain surgeon rates. And as mentioned AF hardly seems very toxic (though I'm sure someone will pipe up and prove me wrong).

Welcome to the real world, or one one coming to you soon.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 12-09-19 at 07:20.

Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Richards Bay East Coast Africa

We have similar harbour regulations but everyone ignores then anyway.

My view is that all fouling is invasive and must be attended to by the authorities in the same way as any invasive species are dealt with on land.

It's the responsibility or the harbour authorities and immigration to prevent any and all undesirables entering the harbour in the first place and if they do they must take responsibility for any damage they do.

This is with my tongue firmly in my cheek.
    Life is too short not to have a sea view
    Distantshaws tinyurl.com/yclt6l68

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    Would all be less irksome if the wildlife showed any signs of not liking the stuff when its on our hulls!
    Agree there as the mullet are always sucking away in the marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    In New South Wales marinas/boat yards without facilities to collect said run off.......have closed.

Some marinas were demanding drop sheets under yachts being anti fouled.

Restrictions on owners conducting their own AF are common place, many simply do not allow the practice, but this is as a result of insurance and H&S. Maybe, of course, supporting local companies offering the same service. It does grate as AF could be conducted, with no disrespect, by monkeys but is charged at brain surgeon rates. And as mentioned AF hardly seems very toxic (though I'm sure someone will pipe up and prove me wrong).

Welcome to the real world, or one one coming to you soon.

Jonathan
    Perhaps we are slower to catch up with things down here, but its still another way of extorting money out of us all at brain surgeon rates. Invasive species in inflatables are a bigger problem than the ones us locals bring in ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    It does grate as AF could be conducted, with no disrespect, by monkeys but is charged at brain surgeon rates.
    The yard where my boat overwinters will antifoul her for £75 if I supply the paint. Since that saves six hours of my time and £55 diesel and ferry) for travel, plus three or four hours on site for painting, I haven't done it myself for years.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    The yard where my boat overwinters will antifoul her for £75 if I supply the paint. Since that saves six hours of my time and £55 diesel and ferry) for travel, plus three or four hours on site for painting, I haven't done it myself for years.
    Yes, there does seem to be an obvious dichotomy between south coast UK and the rest of the world in terms of boating charges. Sadly, or perhaps fortunately, there are sufficient numbers of boat owners willing to tolerate the exploitative profiteering of south coast yards.
    I'd rather be tethered to a pad eye than tethered to an iPad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast