Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Engine overheated - should I change the oil?

My engine (Beta 35) overheated yesterday. The alarm went just outside the marina and we had to sail back in.

Don't know what caused it. Its a heat exchange system. Plenty of coolant. Impellor good. Filter clear. Perhaps the raw water inlet was temporarily blocked. I poked down through it, and it seems fine now, with a good through-flow to the exhaust.

The engine seems to be OK, but have I read somewhere it is advisable to change the oil after overheating? Are there any other checks advisable before I head out again?
    Last edited by AndrewB; 11-09-19 at 12:27.

Default Re: Engine overheated - should I change the oil?

If alarm sounded just for a few seconds there should be no issue . Oil level is presumably as it should be.

Is this an exhaust overheat or the closed circuit engine coolant overheating?
    If it didn't lose much coolant it's very unlikely the oil got too hot. And if it did, that's probably least of your worries.

If it was water shortage then the exhaust system should be inspected especially any plastic components

The oil temp gauge on my new car reads 130 degrees C if I'm caning it so unless you went a lot hotter than that, I wouldn't worry.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    The oil temp gauge on my new car reads 130 degrees C if I'm caning it so unless you went a lot hotter than that, I wouldn't worry.

Richard
    You haven't accidentally ended up with a model fitted for the post-Brexit market with the temp gauge in Fahrenheit have you?

The short term overheating shouldn't cause any harm to the the oil. It would take overheating serious enough to cause deformation of metal parts etc to adversely affect the quality of a modern engine oil. The engine would probably be destroyed by this event.
    What happened to you has been probably beneficial to the oil evaporating some of the ever present harmful water content ;-). Don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    You haven't accidentally ended up with a model fitted for the post-Brexit market with the temp gauge in Fahrenheit have you?
    It's a German car so Fahrenheit is definitely a non-starter .... even though one of their Guys invented it.

Here's a confusing fact: -40 degrees C is the same temperature as -40 degrees F.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It's a German car so Fahrenheit is definitely a non-starter .... even though one of their Guys invented it.

Here's a confusing fact: -40 degrees C is the same temperature as -40 degrees F.

Richard
    Not confusing at all ... It forms the basis of an easy to remember method of converting one to the other:

Add 40

Multiply by 9/5 to convert C to F or 5/9 to convert F to C

Subtract 40
    Last edited by VicS; 12-09-19 at 08:34.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Not confusing at all ... It forms the basis of an easy to remember method of converting one to the other:

Add 40

Multiply by 9/5 to convert C to F or 5/9 to convert F to C

Subtract 40
    What???

It's: C x 9/5 + 32 = F, or F - 32 x 5/9 = C

32 is the difference between freezing points, 0C = 32F

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast