Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default thicker standing rigging?

my westerly 31 has 6mm (11 strand) diameter ringing except the wire that goes through furler which is 8mm. Thinking of replacing all rigging with 8mm. Is there anything wrong with that? mechanically speaking?
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Default Re: thicker standing rigging?

Quote Originally Posted by Akestor View Post
    my westerly 31 has 6mm (11 strand) diameter ringing except the wire that goes through furler which is 8mm. Thinking of replacing all rigging with 8mm. Is there anything wrong with that? mechanically speaking?
    Using thicker wire is no problem as such but I would only tension it to the same figure as the original. If you tension it to the figure you would normally set it to for the thicker wire you could be setting it to a tension the boat is not designed for.

But why increase from 6 to 8 ? Need a stronger rig or just money to spend?

11 strand ? Is that right ?
    Last edited by VicS; 11-09-19 at 14:34.

Thicker standing rigging can mean the leeward shroud goes completely slack too soon.
    Probably not going to hurt a Westerly 31, but it's really just pointless weight aloft.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    Thicker standing rigging can mean the leeward shroud goes completely slack too soon.
    Probably not going to hurt a Westerly 31, but it's really just pointless weight aloft.
    All other things being equal, thicker rigging would be less stretchy than thinner, wouldn't it?

Certainly works that way for cordage.

Thinking I knew better than the designer of my boat (Kim Holman), I replaced the 5mm shrouds specified on his drawings with 6mm.

I then found that the terminal eyes in the new shrouds were larger in diameter than the originals, and this meant that the clevis pins in the mast tangs were no longer a snug fit in the new eyes, as they had been in the old. I didn't like this.

I had to turn up some thin-walled s/s bushes to take up the slack.

Not a problem as I have a lathe, otherwise I would have had to pay someone to do it for me
    Last edited by Poignard; 11-09-19 at 15:00.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

North Wales, sailing Aegean Sea or Menai Strait

Quote Originally Posted by James_Calvert View Post
    All other things being equal, thicker rigging would be less stretchy than thinner, wouldn't it?

Certainly works that way for cordage.
    Ultimately that is true but you only tension your rigging to around 20% of UTS. Sailing loads will add a bit but nowhere near enough to stretch the wire significantly.
    Answers to some technical queries at new website http://coxeng.co.uk

If it was designed for 6mm wire. and has worked OK with it for many years, why change? If you fit thicker wire you cannot tension it to the same percentage without risking damage to chainplates and possibly distorting the boat so that things happen like cabin doors getting stuck.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Using thicker wire is no problem as such but I would only tension it to the same figure as the original. If you tension it to the figure you would normally set it to for the thicker wire you could be setting it to a tension the boat is not designed for.

But why increase from 6 to 8 ? Need a stronger rig or just money to spend?

11 strand ? Is that right ?
    hi Vic you are right i got it wrong! actually it should be 1x19 strand wire continuous according to boat specs unless last rig replacement was set differently. I experienced some heavy weather with the meltemi in aegean sea. Had some strong "flaps" of the jenoa going downwind ( shaking rigging) and splashing into big waves going upwind. These sudden stresses at the rigging makes me think of the 8mm, but then i hadn't though of the tension factor.
    If you tension it to the figure you would normally set it to for the thicker wire you could be setting it to a tension the boat is not designed for.
    I relize that know. It's like setting thick bass strings to a mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Norman_E View Post
    If it was designed for 6mm wire. and has worked OK with it for many years, why change? If you fit thicker wire you cannot tension it to the same percentage without risking damage to chainplates and possibly distorting the boat so that things happen like cabin doors getting stuck.
    I ll stick to the 6mm. Stupid but didn't think of the foundamental factor of tension difference!

Good call to stay with the original design IMHO. I suggest that you get yourself a rig tension gauge. I use the largest size of Loos Professional gauge as my rigging is mostly 10mm, but the smaller one that reads wire sizes to 7mm will do for you because your 8mm forestay has its tension set by the backstay and is not measured directly. It is important that you keep your rig properly tensioned because a slack rig is more likely to fail than one kept properly tight.
    Working on immortality - One day at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast