Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lorient, just back from a second round Atlantic trip

Default Re: thicker standing rigging?

Also, safety factors are usually used to make the cable the weakest link: a lot "better" to break a cable and possibly dismast, than breaking open one third of the deck

Quote Originally Posted by Akestor View Post
    my westerly 31 has 6mm (11 strand) diameter ringing except the wire that goes through furler which is 8mm. Thinking of replacing all rigging with 8mm. Is there anything wrong with that? mechanically speaking?
    But why??

You would definitely have a problem connecting new 8mm wire terminals to 6mm mast tangs and chainplates too.
    Bigger wire, bigger eye and pin sizes .

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinsonsails View Post
    You would definitely have a problem connecting new 8mm wire terminals to 6mm mast tangs and chainplates too.
    Bigger wire, bigger eye and pin sizes .
    See post #5.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Also, safety factors are usually used to make the cable the weakest link: a lot "better" to break a cable and possibly dismast, than breaking open one third of the deck
    indeed!
    Do it yourself and do it good!

Larger size clevis pins may not fit in the holes.I would change like for like if that was the original spec.

A previous owner "cleverly" changed the shrouds on my boat to 8mm instead of 6mm.
    I suspect because he was able to get some cheap, rather than for any performance or engineering reason. He didn't bother changing the forestay or backstay, they're still 6mm!
    It's a pain in the transom! I had to buy a very expensive rig tension gauge (>8mm = twice the price for the gauge), tuning guides aren't written for non-standard rigging, in fact this winter I'm going to swap it back to 6mm.

The Westerly 31 and the majority of other boats have low tension rig; no need to increase the wire diameter; even if you were to replace the 6 mm with 5mm or even 4mm (hypothetically) it would make no difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12