Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Get your chequebook out.

Not boring at all, some very nice monos (didnít look at the multis). Iíd be extremely happy to buy / own several of them but, alas, they are probably beyond reasonable reach.

Iíve recently been thinking about changing my 6 year old 41ft AWB but with the collapse of the pound a replacement is now silly money.

I'll take two please!

Thank goodness I am not in the market for a new boat.
    Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I seem to do my sailing in a parallel universe to the one occupied by these boats. Mine involves rain, mud, things that don’t work properly, much scrambling around the boat and constant maintenance. Blue skies, shiny white GRP, hydraulic furlers below deck and sylph-like lovelies in bikinis occur in the other universe.

Iím in the same universe as you Minn, clearly!

Putting a SHE 36 next to any of that selection would be like putting a young Brigitte Bardot next to Katie Price.

That's very well expressed.

It would probably be unfair to expect yacht-yard marketing men to present their latest creations on a grey wet day in the English Channel, F5/6...but that's the likeliest environment these vessels will see if they're sold here.

Or, just 49 weeks per year in a marina berth. If people are going to stuff marinas full of boats, why can't they be more attractive ones?

Quote Originally Posted by dancrane View Post
    That's very well expressed.

It would probably be unfair to expect yacht-yard marketing men to present their latest creations on a grey wet day in the English Channel, F5/6...but that's the likeliest environment these vessels will see if they're sold here.
    This picture, from that article, is of the 1st boat in the UK. Location is the Solent.

This picture, again from that article, features Pip Hare at the helm, and that is indeed a grey, wet, day in the channel... On the French side admittedly...

But then since Sail Magazine is American, and none of the boats are UK made, I very much doubt any of the pics are chosen with any sort of nod to the UK market...
    You never know, I might be right!

Those pics you show are two of the best from that article, Flaming. The tedious static shots in the first few could scarcely have been more dull. I'm not even sure it's the yachts' fault - more like very unimaginative marketing.

In the old days (30 years ago, anyway) the adverts really made me want the product. Although I hardly think Swan's latest (yachts and images) can improve on their gorgeous late 1980s examples. Just a pity they weren't higher definition.

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard

Pardon the ignorance of this poor colonial but might someone enlighten me as to the meaning of MAB? A google search turned up Metropolitan Asylums Board, Muslim Association of Britain, a Shakespeare character and a few more that didn't seem relevant to this discussion.
    The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Manky Auld Boat....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast